Give birth to a book this summer Whilst everybody has a book inside them, having a tome-birth can end up being traumatic! – This post is written to get you moving and to start you off, writing your first book. … Continue reading
Or, How to shorten the waiting time for stardom to come knocking… 1, Post Deep Content on LinkedIn – It sounds obvious to some and it will, at the same time, FREAK others out. – When you consistently post good … Continue reading
For Independent Trainers Who Wish To Experience Faster Growth And Enjoy Higher & Sustainable Income
What is the Going For Growth Bootcamp?
We intend to deliver an intense one day Bootcamp group training / learning day in Basel on 6th April 2019. And, to make the day effective, we will also provide you with supporting materials and guidance before you arrive, in the form of simple, remote pre-work. You can do as much or as little preparation as you like before you attend the day.
On the day, we will look at your professional identity and brand, illustrate how informational products and social media can help to build your tribe / crowd / database, and, see how your philosophy can be expressed in the best way through your communication, to get your message out and attract the best people to your offering.
Our support package includes short handbooks, coaching, an action plan and a library of materials including helpful films. You can book just the day or buy the package and the day. The choice is yours. Are you an experienced professional, possibly with no published informational assets yet, and, not quite enough clients? The Basel Bootcamp day will teach you how to become a more confident, independent solopreneur / entrepreneur – Owning your own bundle of knowledge based assets, a functioning and proven marketing / sales process, and, thus benefiting from a healthy supply of warm incoming business enquires supporting the growth of your profitable independent business.
The Going for Growth Bundle and Bootcamp will enable you to experience a good quality of life – QOL, in which you feel time-rich, financially well rewarded for the work you do, whilst being independent, happy and fully expressed in your professional life.
Is this you?
Are you an independent solopreneur trainer or coach, a passionate service or product provider, keen to expand your businesses (and, a speaker of English!)
When should you come to the Bootcamp?
You have already started your business, found your first customers and delivered your first product / services. And you have now accumulating enough work experience to be effective independently and wish to accelerate your rate of growth. And, you are hungry to get “start to finish” help that will ensure that you do the right things, avoid the wrong things and have assistance and support, as you move from “newbie” to establishing yourself and your business in your chosen field.
What is the benefit for you?
As far as we are aware, this is the ONLY complete system on the market that has a beginning, a middle, and, an end, allowing the individual to actually build all that they need to generate a warm, current and qualified pipeline of incoming business enquiries.
We think it is the ONLY template available that allows the independent operator to construct a viable business in 60 action days, meaning that you can plan when you will work on building your informational assets, your marketing and selling structures and you can confidently predict your own end-date for this building process.
And, it is the ONLY offer that comes with live access to experts when required. This is not a “remote guru” programme where the main expert is separated from the learners.
Going for Growth Bundle Offering – The Offer Support Materials List;
- Going for Growth in 2019 – A short 13 Part Handbook including 130 guiding coaching questions
- Matthew’s 5M Marketing Success Model – The Business Growth Accelerator Elements
- What’s Stopping You? Audit – A resource to get the independent business owner beyond their Self Limiting Beliefs – SLBs
- Marketing Effectiveness Audit – A quick test to see what has already been created.
- 60-Day Business Build Action “Postcards” – The Template for building a business from nothing to generating warm incoming enquiries
- Coaching Support – A number of live 45 to 70 minute coaching sessions helping independents to get passed their issues, blockers and problems
- Mastermind Group Clinics – A Remote deep dive into specific topics that the group are struggling with
- Basel Bootcamp, Saturday, 6th April 2019 – The Bootcamp experience that brings great people together, supported by The Going for Growth Bundle
TAKE ACTION – Contact Matthew if you are interested via email@example.com today
More Details on the 8 Parts
- Going for Growth in 2019 – Short 13 Part Handbook with 130 coaching questions
Outlining the concepts of the 13-Step Blueprint that EVERY successful business must follow, build and maintain to survive, grow and make money. This book will help you get your head in the game and show the scope of the work that is required. It contains gentle and reflective coaching questions at the end of each of the 13 parts to help you expand awareness of what your business requires before you start your big build.
2. Matthew’s 5M Marketing Model – Business Growth Accelerator
MP4 Film expanding on the 5Ms – Meet – Your identity pitch, Message – Your published book stating your credo, essence and offer – Make – The importance of creating assets – products that transfer value – Market – A marketing sequence that generates warm enquiries for you – Mastermind Group – Joint Venturing and collaborating with complementary operators in a related field. This film aims to educate and inform you about what is required in the next phase. Punchy and to the point, you will learn more about the 5 Ms and what each element can do for you to help you create the business you want.
3. What’s Stopping You? Audit
This book represents an invaluable tool to help you complete your journey. From identifying the thoughts that are blocking you to overcoming and getting over your doubts and fears, to leap forward toward action, product creation, funnel design and profitable independence. Some say that this is the most freeing part of the whole programme.
4. Marketing Effectiveness Audit
Your Marketing Asset Checklist
You will be surprised at how much of the list you have already started, created or have “somewhere”. You can build upon this and finish quickly once you understand the whole picture, what your assets do and what is required to complete your business build.
5. 60-Day Business Build Action “Postcards”
The aim here is to guide you through your build in the LEAST POSSIBLE TIME AND NUMBER OF STEPS
We set you up ready to;
- a) Plan your next months with a paper calendar placed somewhere visible, such as on your fridge, with your 60 highlighted action days.
- b) Schedule your power postcard workdays on your fridge calendar. One a day, 3 a week or whatever will fit with your work schedule, family life, travel plans, etc.
- c) Get your partner and child to “bully” you into keeping discipline, preparing to do the work and staying on track to complete your active build to completion 60 Day Business Build Calendar on your fridge
Where does this fit in? You will have expanded your marketing mind in the first section (Going for Growth etc.) and will be broadly aware of what you need to do, who you are, etc. The 60 – Day Business Build is the time to commit and hold firm to a practical and powerful SCHEDULE, working in a focused and professional way to build up your marketing and informational assets.
Every week you will receive a specific set of task instructions that will take you from, “I don’t have a clear idea of what to do” to, “Wow, I have just built a business in just over two months.”
6. Coaching Support
You will probably run into some blockers or technical issues around Sequencing, Identity & Brand, Offering or Target Audience. Most people do.
At this critical phase, you will receive the support you need with 2 45 to 70 minute coaching calls to move you passed any blockages, obstructions or issues. Just schedule a Gotomeeting session and an expert will help you through.
7. Mastermind Group Clinics
The topics to be discussed will by chosen by YOU – The Mastermind Group Members – 3 to 7 people in each cohort.
These interactive, educational deep dives aim to explore specific subject areas in greater detail, lay out the actions required with clarity and pragmatic simplicity to get the group beyond any mental or technical issues that they are experiencing.
8. Basel Bootcamp Event
Matthew’s Going for Growth Business Bootcamp, Saturday, 6th April 2019, An intensive session (IN ENGLISH) to help you work on, complete and accelerate your build, start your marketing sequence and fill in any gaps that you have.
We will make products, hone your brand and take you from 35 – 70% of the way there to almost all of the way there (And, ALL the way there, if you manage to complete all your homework!). BTW – In this way, the get together generates the most productive of outcomes for you.
Money – Back Guarantee
If you join the programme, complete the course work, and, after 9 months, have not made back at least twice the income that you paid for the programme in customer revenues, then, Matthew will be return to you, what you paid for the bundle and bootcamp. So, there is no financial risk.
Cost – We provide two options? –
A, Just the Basel Bootcamp Day – Price – £395.00 Or,
B, The 8 Element Going from Growth Bundle AND Bootcamp, including the event, coaching support, Bundle Materials and your full money-back guarantee – £895.00
Super Early Bird Offer – If you book TODAY, we offer you this one-time special price of £295 for, just the Bootcamp day, (or), £495.00 for the whole programme and 8 part package Please. Note; to qualify for this discount, you must book and complete payment of the PayPal invoice we will send you, by the 5th March 2019.
We think we have thought of everything that the new and growing business owner needs to know to successfully build up their independent training business to completion and to generate a valuable in-flow of warm new customer enquires.
If you wish to have a personal one-to-one conversation with Matthew to discuss whether this is the right course for you, simply E Mail to firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a brief call or call +44 7540 65 9995 and leave your details.
Are we making assumptions and mistakes?
Our many many assumptions only delay the building of effective collaborative structures and getting to positive team collaboration.
The assumptions about collaboration, and, how we should all be able to instantly achieve this nirvana like state, give insights into the difficulties we face, and, they often betray our cultural origins too.
In this, the first of 3 short posts, we will explore the barriers to collaboration in order to confront them, raise self-awareness and, finally, be able to put together a blueprint for effective collaboration across place, time and difference.
10 Assumptions and Mistakes
- Its all about the goal – Action based organisations or individuals are all about starting fast and ending with the achievement of a goal – growth, profit or the production of a new object etc. Whilst this approach has been enormously effective (with only 5% of the World’s population, the US accounts for 23% of the World’s economy), the magic that creates collaboration happened between the start and finishing lines. We can easily find ourselves looking in the wrong place and focusing on the wrong things.
- Nail down the strategy – We are taking a large step closer when we talk about strategy and the HOW? How will we get there? Here, however, the focus, all too often, again, misses out the human, the relational and the emotional. The assumptions made are like an engineer in a factory – building a sausage machine, fill it with sausage meat and casings, and turn it on. We look at process and give emphasis to the technical, whilst again, overlooking the human.
- Measurement improves business – You get more of what you measure? Why? Because that is where you put your energy and attention. It is easy to manage activity, and compare input with output – Notice we are back with the sausage machine analogy. This risks drifting into Stephen Covey territory where we are super-EFFICIENT without being that EFFECTIVE. There is a critical difference we must become aware of. You can be driving in a super-efficient way – in the WRONG direction!
- Man management will get us there – So we have reached point 4. Are we finally, going to to deal with the emotional human and how we can get them to collaborate? Not quite yet! Historically, humans have been treated as muscle machines; expendable commodities whose freewill must be minimised and whose bodies must be made fast, and, whose minds must be made compliant. Take a moment and consider how obedient are you expected to be in order to continue to receive your pay? It is a little scary. There is an unwritten subtext where you must sublimate much of yourself in order for your face and behaviour to fit in.
I remember my Welsh English teacher, Taff Davies, beginning the year with exactly this metaphor. “What is the key characteristic of an efficient machine?” He asked. Silent running was the answer, he wished to extract from the class.
- Privilege – Do you notice who gets promoted? Class based advantage helps promote pale males ahead of others. This happens because of the two confidences – Theirs and ours.
Their confidence is drummed in – Noblesse oblige, duty, leadership, expectation (BTW – This is not a walk in the park – There is a large promise that must be delivered upon by our silver spooned chewing heroes.)
Our confidence comes in the form of preferring to deal with a middle class white male when it comes to anything important. We are ALL compliant in this skewed system.
Society has programmed us to accept a specific and prescribed minority as the dominant leaders in our community. This is historical, political and economic. We have spent much less time, money and energy working to create the conditions necessary for wider, productive and sustainable collaboration.
- Me me me – Either from the elite in point 5. or coming from the wide lands around them, the personal agenda of the individual can so easily compete for attention and resources as to undermine the chances of everybody playing nicely, collaborating for something worth achieving, or, the key audience being served at all. Just look at the ego of that person in your own group. You know who I mean.
- Defensive feelings – It is too easy to get passed people as machines model only to take everything personally. This leads to drama and personal battles that have little or nothing to do with the mission, the team or the service that is to be delivered. – Defensiveness is at the heart of most escalations, team malfunctions and litigation. It is a primal human reaction and will not lead to 1000 create collaborative moments.
- The oppressed marginals are included – The opposite of 5., those stuck in the margins have learnt behaviours necessary for them to exist, persist and survive. Their voice is quiet and avoids critical challenge, licenced pessimism or contributing their own innovative ideas. No risk – no punishment. That is the motto of the un-empowered came up with to keep on living.
- I don’t do bias – The problem with us humans, is that we think we are objective, intelligent and sophisticated creatures – That we are above the fray. We subconsciously dismiss the views of outsiders, outliers and those not in our gang. And we only vote for our own and take comfort in the tranquil voice of the social leaders as with point 5. We all have plenty of unconscious bias that has been programmed in via parental chat, education, entertainment and, particularly, with every political speech we have heard.
- Pleasing people pleases people – We end in irony. Groups comply rather than offer rational challenge for a reason. It is because they wish to enjoy harmony and for each member to be liked.
The assumption is that nice people, doing nice things for the needy is the way to go. It is not.
People pleasers don’t please people. We get nowhere and the wheels eventually fall off the bus. Group thinkers take wild decisions, create unsustainable levels of risk and cannot self-correct.
When we replace groupthink with licenced criticism, we start to create the conditions for GOOD conflict, robust exchange and the possibility of progress. This is challenging in most subcultures, where confrontation is actively avoided (How many times do the Brits say, Sorry, Sorry, Sorry, Sorry every day?)
Being nice is not always a necessary condition for collaboration.
Conclusion – A raft of assumptions and mistakes stand in the way of forging effective teams, committees and communities that can act with purpose, from a strong based of shared values to achieve worthy and sustainable outcomes.
Next time we look at some exercises that can get us from the 10 assumptions and mistakes mentioned above and move towards behaviours supporting full-on collaborative teams working in a robust, courageous and effective way to fulfil their mandate.
About the author – Matthew Hill is a facilitator, presentation coach and leadership trainer, working with commercial and voluntary organisations to help them operate as robust executive teams, fulfilling individual promise and delivering overall results that are extraordinary.
*** SIETAR Congress in Leuven *** – Matthew Hill will be running a workshop on the second day of the SIETAR Spain Congress in Leuven. 10AM. Do join us if you can…
Matthew Hill – 07540 65 9995
Going for Growth in 2019 – Let’s go back to school with a bang
The main point of being an independent trainer, coach or mediator is to take more control of your life. And, charging enough to allow you some free time is a critical part of this. Whether you want to be a super high earner, blend free time with work in a more healthy way, or, set up a pro bono surgery, getting to a place where you can comfortably charge more is important.
In this post we explore 7 ways to support you charging a premium price or, even, a SUPER premium price.
And, at the end we talk about an opportunity to meet up at an event in Malaga too.
- Identity – This may sound simple but, every year, I meet many who have not completed their identity build with clarity or sufficient power to confidently charge more. Essentially you must project yourself as just one thing – An expert – deeply experienced and knowledgeable on one subject. Quite frankly, you need to be perceived as the leader in your field. Here lies the secret to charging a super premium price. Do you have a model, a special technique? Do you have unique content, a better methodology? Does your way work best? Take some time to work on these elements and your invoices will grow to a freeing level before next summer.
- Brand – What is a brand? There are 1000 answers. For the here and now, it is an increase in heart rate for the viewer, accessing your marketing material and content. They must get excited watching you in your YouTube video. They must connect their dreams to the outcomes you describe. It is necessary to eliminate the gaps in your brand story and present a joined up journey for your chosen tribe. BTW – Not everybody can do this for themselves.
- Super Copy Writing. Killer Text Is Key. When you write well for others, they will think well of you. When you structure your communications using the Super Copy Formula, they will come knocking on your door.
Price is a function of supply and demand.
If your offer is oversubscribed, your offering can support a super premium price. Of course – getting from regular work volumes to positive busy-ness (50 days at a 100 cash units rather than 100 days at 50 cash units) requires a specific and proscribed process, much of which relies not on what you write but how and in what order you present it. When you follow the Super Copy Formula for your written texts, the extra cash will become available to you.
- Great Content. You need to rearrange your content to be telepathic, sympatico and aligned with your perfect customer, what they want, when they want it. And, deliver it in the way that works for them. Too quick, too soon or too simple / complex and they will give up on you and start moaning. Leading your best students through to completion and success – that is only possible with great content and great process. The best content is pitched right, transfers knowledge effectively and is fully absorbed to be available and applicable by the student.
- Products Product Products. Regular readers will know, I am obsessed with turning your experiences into assets to earn you attention, brand brownie points, engagement, sales, income and advocacy. When you have a film, audio or text product, you take your level and your charge rate UP. It really is that elegant. And, creating products comfortably, cheaply and quickly is, today, a piece of cake.
- Building Your Tribe – I spoke to a young coach of coaches recently and she spoke about going wide to make sure you have something for everybody and can thus earn money. WRONG. To start with at least, it is all about the one thing, delivered with care, to the one audience. Finding your avatar, ideal market segment and small customer niche is essential if you desire to charge a premium price. If you are all things to all men, you will be COMMODITISED and that means your customers will expect you to be near, convenient, quick and CHEAP. Yuk. When you cater solely for your niche, you take back control, become a healthy equal partner with your client, and, you will be allowed to negotiate for a convenient time, a better rate and a greater level of respect and engagement. Super premium rates are not about greed. They are about getting you the respect your experience deserves.
- Give More – When you crank up your prices, unsurprisingly, your customers will expect more. Give it to them. Guarantee all your work. Add extra value to your offering. Listen to them and adapt. Tailor your service so that it works for them. Go the extra mile / kilometre. Value is a function of Benefit over Cost. V= B/C. When you understand that you will be keen to double the customer benefit and therefore double your price – Pragmatism.
As we think with some dread about “going back to school”, and, before we become swallowed up with low quality urgency, there exists, now, a brief moment to reflect on your next year and ask, “Am I providing the best service I can, to the most interesting people out there?” “Am I being paid what I am worth for my experience, charisma and ability?” And, if not, “What am I going to change?”
If you are currently being paid a super premium price for doing what you love, I need to ask you a favour. Please share your wisdom and experience with someone younger, so that they can reach your level with a little less experimentation.
If you are contemplating the end of summer with horror, and, are still swapping time for average money (most people are), then do read our other ITC posts for Independent trainers, coaches and mediators. They will help you build your business, charge what you are worth, work in a way that suits you and connect the best of you to the best people out there.
And one more thing – Malaga,
If you are going to the SIETAR Spain Congress in Malaga in September 2018 and wish to join one of our Intercultural Training Channel, Going for Growth Bootcamp Days, do get in touch with me directly. Do E Mail, Matthew Hill at email@example.com and we can set up a short telephone conversation in a week or so.
Thanks. Finally. Please like and share if you have taken value from this post.
Strategic Approach vs. Quick and Dirty?
Having just returned from the SIETAR Switzerland congress in Lugarno where I was surrounded by enthusiastic independents, many of who were busily growing their own businesses, one question struck me as most important – What do I do first?
To build up a complete marketing funnel with experienced based assets takes time. It can be a multi-year project that will require dedication, thought and plenty of external energy and opportunity.
As I have said many times – This build centres on 4 products – 1) The Professional Interrupter – an attention grabbing and valuable asset that is strong enough to stop a busy and successful decision maker for long enough for them to take notice of you. 2) The Product 4 Prospect Asset – An exchangeable item that promises the delivery of value to a cold contact in return for their Opt In – you give them some knowledge and value and they give you their first name, last name, E Mail and permission to contact them. Simple. 3) The Trip Wire – Another small and valuable package that represents a bargain for the price. What could you build and sell for €20? It must represent more value than the perceived cost would indicate, so that you can convert cynical and critical outsiders to become insider tribe members who can warm to your intelligence and experience. 4) Your Core Deliverable Product – The thing you are most passionate about, sold to the insider tribe member, who is ready to appreciate what you have crafted. They KNOW it represents value and, so, will happily pay a premium to receive it.
Building a Crowd.
There are many contact points required and much interaction to build a warm and loyal crowd who will come to know you, like you and trust you to a level where they will confess their flaws, weakness or gaps and ALLOW you to help them. The key here is your reputation – Something that is built in THEIR hearts, stomachs, minds and memories. Remember – they own your Brand. That is where it lives – with your audience, your list, your database, and, in your new family of followers.
Quick and Dirty
Having said all of that (in 350 words) there will be irresistible opportunities that pop up and come your way, out of the blue, and that can generate great commercial returns.
Here it is about scrambling all of your resources together quickly to construct a credible offer and take advantage of this one time gift.
80% is good enough.
Is it time to fight the perfectionist in you and get that outline out quickly? Are you prepared to fill in the gaps later? And. Will your expedience pay off?
What should I do first?
So, we come to a hybrid approach – Keep on track with your long strategic game of building high quality and long lasting assets AND go for it when the sun shines just for a moment. Ironically, it can be those one-time deals that help build your credibility in the longer term and, reacting quickly to lightning chances can really help you to build your resilience, agility and intelligence when it comes to marketing and closing deals later on, when your company is fully formed and ready to take on all comers.
About the Author Matthew Hill is a trainer, author and coach helping new independent trainers and coaches to get more business in through the door. He is running a Going for Growth bootcamp for independent trainers in The Hague, 17th to 19th August 2018. Details at culture99.wordpress.com.
One Product You is NOT Optimally Profitable
Here is the simplest business build you will ever do. It consists of just 4 products that will move you to POSITIVELY interrupt your targets and start making a profit.
Product One – The Lead Magnet – What could you package up, from your knowledge and experience, and give to your target audience of potential customers that will grab their attention, please them, and, spark their curiosity to a level that helps them take a tiny tiny action step?
Successful suggestions include a work sample, a live demonstration, a powerful recording, a content rich webinar, a white paper, a quick quiz / audit, a 15 minute coaching call or any other small package that can show your depth, credibility and brand to good effect.
Sometimes called a Product4Prospect, the Lead Magnet is given away in exchange for contact details and permission to approach the receiver in the future.
Product Two – The Trip Wire – You can have an audience of 10,000, but, if they don’t buy anything, you are just a loud and unsuccessful busker!
The genius of the Trip Wire product is that it is cheap enough to trigger a no-brainer buying decision and, at the same time, acts as a psychological doorway, taking the individual from feeling like a distant, isolated observer to feeling like a customer, insider and club member.
That is what is so clever about the Trip Wire product.
Again, it must be packed full of value but must NOT provide the complete solution – They need to fill in the gaps in their knowledge with your Product Three.
Successful suggestions for a Trip Wire product include a starter version of your offering, a paid taster session, a paid intake clinic combining audit with delivered content, your book, a recorded audio product or the how-to film that you have made.
Product Three – Your Core Offering – This is the one product that everybody has. The advantage of running a sequence and not starting by pushing your Core Offering, is that you may achieve extra levels of trust and branding and so, will be able to price your Core Offering at a premium. It is important to max the joy of the customer as they receive your service so that their customer experience, CX is exceptional, memorable and becomes a talking point. It is your customer’s outstanding emotions that will boost and grow your company. Good enough is no longer good enough. Wow is now.
Suggestions for helping support an outstanding Core Offering to attain the level of REMARKABLE – Differentiate your offerings into Bronze, Silver and Gold levels that offer economy, normal and luxury versions, add an accompanying user guide and demonstration that are ACTUALLY usable, rustle up celebrity endorsements, design in fun, energy and humour, add sleek design and cool features, work hard to enrich context with multi-channel delivery, build in the possibility of more interaction with the expert you, include full risk reduction, reversal and guarantees, and, incorporate customer feedback to smooth out the bumps in the customer journey, so you know you are delivering something special.
Is that it? No. There’s more…
Product Four – A Second Product. Did you think that getting the customer to buy your main offering once was the end of the line? No. Now we need to get you to PROFIT.
The costs of customer acquisition are normally assigned to the core offering. This limits any possible profit gained from first time customers. This applies to all one-product companies.
We all know that new customers are the most expensive to acquire and that returning customers are the best to have and the cheapest to maintain.
All that cost of identifying, interrupting, warming, closing and delivering has been sunk. Now, with your Second Product, you know who they are and they understand how you operate. The next “box” you deliver will have a much higher margin. And it does not have to be priced at a super premium to achieve this. Sure, a high-end new offering will sort the wheat from the chaff and get those, “I must have the best” types excited. But, a regular priced offering will really boost profits, even when you average out Core and Second Product margins combined.
Suggestions for creating and supporting a Second Product include – The advanced level version of your core, something complementary to the first purchase, “And customers also bought this…”
If a trainer is selling knowledge first time around, they could sell a change programme as the second bite.
If Tony Robbins is offering you mind reprogramming in his first session, his next offering might provide a deep dive into personal wealth and finances.
So, that’s it. The 4 products you need to complete your set, establish a winning commercial sequence and all done whilst delighting your customers and generating above industry average levels of profit.
Call to ACTION – Call me for a 15 minutes consultation about your business plans for 2019. Matthew Hill 07540 65 9995.
Good luck and do let me know if you need some help.
When would NOW be a good time to start your Personal Time & Work Quality Revolution?
- The Good Busy test. How much of the following (honestly) applies to you?
“I am Good Busy. My schedule is packed with exciting trips and assignments taking place in desirable locations, working with and for kind, progressive and generous clients who seem to understand me, appreciate me and, specifically, understand my worth to them.
They provide me with a stimulating brief that I am excited to get my teeth into. The work has plenty of variety, suits my strengths and allows me to be fully expressed, in the zone and at my best as I execute the work that I love.”
Have we described your life perfectly? Or, does this seem like a fantasy as you reflect on your work, your life and your lack of balance?
- The Bad Busy test. When I am not filling in or scanning endless administrative forms, I seem to be trapped in other types of unpaid, repetitive and unrewarding chores. Either that or I feel duty bound to travel and fulfil my Mephistophelean contract of vast acres of underpaid, boiler plate assignments in grubby locations with cheap accommodation, working with an unappreciative audience that would far rather be anywhere else than there. My clients are, under the surface, monolith factory sweatshops that employ above average people to perform stressful, complicated and disjointed work for little psychological reward beyond beyond task completion, urgency and the avoidance of an escalation sparking the harsh tongue of a similarly stressed supervisor, hovering above them, micromanaging the process. I work in the cruel environment of complain scarcity. And I see now way out.
Both 1. & 2. are, of course, extreme exaggerations. The point of showing the contrasting stories above is to get you to feel something and recognise elements of WHAT YOU WANT and what you are stuck with and wish to ESCAPE.
The Symptoms –
*Does your heart race or sink when a new work order comes in?
*Do you ever feel ill or experience a mild panic attack on the way to work?
*Do you feel low on Sunday or drink too much on a Friday evening alongside your equally disenchanted colleagues?
*When you are asked, has your description of what you do become more cynical and dark?
What needs to change after summer?
- Audit. I am often asked what is the key to happiness when in the middle of the upheaval of changing country or job, and, one thing I learnt years ago is that externally enforced relocation, reassignment or revolution (or some thinking time in summer) is the perfect time to take stock of your situation and ask some profound questions of yourself…
*Who were you when you set out in the world of work?
*Are you still that person?
*What do you want from your day job in 5 year’s time?
*What do you want your legacy / eulogy to be?
*What do you enjoy most in your work?
*What work based activity fills you with dread?
*Are you healthy / happy / fulfilled?
*Are you EARNING what you are worth?
*Is the output of your work good, neutral or evil?
*Are you giving something via your job that is adding value to the broader human experience?
What can you Do?
- Say “No!” – The breakthrough moment came for me working as a freelance trainer and coach many years ago. When I started saying no to discounted work, unfulfilling assignments, crappy locations, helping unprofessional or unprepared clients. When I rejected work that was meaningless, harmful or just a tick box exercise for a corporate customer, something shifted for me.
Instantly my life improved. I felt rebellious, free and more in control of my content, my audience and my outcomes. My income went up, my spare time went up. And, my boredom, stress and frustration levels went down.
My question became, “Why didn’t I do this earlier?”
Upgrade Everything – If you increase the quality of every little thing you work on and create something whole that is exceptional, people will notice – Your brand will become REMARKABLE and your place in the world will change.
+How can you turbo charge your next product?
+What will take your service levels to a place that commands and deserves a premium price?
+How can you find the courage to ask for an OUTRAGEOUS fee and keep a straight face?
+How can you create a niche that you will own, dominate and FILL with value?
+How can you spend your time being fully expressed utilising your value and being totally connected to your client, their objectives and your transformational talents?
Conclusion – You get the life you tolerate, so maybe it is time to take action and raise your standards.
If you have been affected by this blog post and want to start work this year with a bang – Do feel free to telephone 07540 65 9995 and leave your details including a preferred time to call you back. We can have a 15-minute conversation and maybe demonstrate some time management gold to your team. Thanks. I would love to hear your story.
And, Please do forward this post your friends and colleagues if they are drowning in miserable busy-ness. Thanks and “bon chance” for autumn. Do E Mail Matthew firstname.lastname@example.org
**16 Must Do Action for more days, higher fees and better clients
Recently, I compared notes with a returning Independent Trainer coming back to the UK and we talked about what you need to do to get back into circulation, get meaningful engagement with L&D decision makers and to generate more days, charge higher fees and make more money.
Here is a list of 16 essentials that will make up your 2018 To Do List! – Deadline – Christmas Morning!!
- Quality Photo Portrait – No, the cropped photo of you at a wedding with shoulders and handbags all around you is not going to get you to your £2,500 daily training rate. – Take the time to find an amazing photographer who is going to produce a professional picture of you that will build and support your premium brand.
- Business Name – And don’t panic – if you have registered something awful, you can re-brand using your blog or website as something more sexy, catchy and searchable – remember – your company name is unlikely to attract any new enquiries via a Google search if it is all about you, as this will not be about your service or fit the customer’s search request.
Take the time to brainstorm over many pages and take an hour or two to do this and come up with 100+ ideas that could work. Don’t edit as you go – just vomit ink on the page!
Now pick the best combination of your words, make sure the final result is not taken in your own country and quickly secure the domain name for yourself. Job done.
- Business Card – Go up market, don’t put a fax number on it – It is not 1995. You do not need your postal address either. This is 2018.
And what about a strap line – Who do you help? What is THEIR outcome? Be creative.
- Deal Sheet – Who have you worked with? And what have you done with them? Some corporate customers will give you permission to use their name and even provide testimonials, endorsements and references that can really help you, so go for it. Some will not. And some are rather precious about their brand, so do be careful and NEVER break copyright laws – They are a venue generator for ambulance chasing lawyers. You can avoid trouble by putting all of their logos on a PowerPoint page, printing it out and taking it to meetings. When you flash this rich and colourful page in front of a decision maker, they will be impressed by the variety and depth of your contacts and will trust you more as a result.
- Professional Profile – Why not slip a bit of sales cleverness in here. Give yourself a strap line – “Regarded as the best X in country Y”, or put a verb in play – “Matthew helps Independent Trainers to maximise their revenues by providing Z.” Add a little about your core offering, prizes won, books published, key differentiators and a major customer name or two to really make this document work for you.
- Posts – I still encounter people who have yet to publish articles on social media. This is a big missed opportunity for them – A social media post is a flashing beacon of light illuminating your existence in the darkness of competition, short decision maker attention spans and shiny object distractions.
To start, simply think of the decision makers in your field and where their pain lies. What problem do they want you to solve? What do they want you to deliver? How do they want you to deliver it? These are the posts that you must be thinking about, drafting, improving. And then get it edited by someone good. And…put them out to LinkedIn groups, Facebook groups and on your website / blog site as well.
6a.Tag, tag, tag & tag – That is the magic way for your posts to live on forever and continue to do the marketing for you, even when you are sleeping.
- Logo – It does not cost a fortune to get a cracking logo that will be visually appealing, high in impact and help key contacts to like you and remember you. Take some time to brief the agency on your requirement. What is your persona? What is your delivery style? What do you represent? What is your promise? Who are you target market – your avatar? And, what is UNIQUE about you?
- Course Outlines – In olden times, when dinosaurs roamed the earth, it was OK to put out the most boring copy imaginable and get away with it. Surprise surprise.
Things have changed.
Now we need a punchy title employing corporate world language and the benefits to be gained by attending delegates. The content should be in short blocks with a subtitle, exercises and the educational outcome for the participants clearly stated. In modern times, this outline is selling you. Let your outline super-copy do some of the heavy lifting in convincing your prospect to pick up the phone and bring you in for a cosy briefing chat.
- Exercises – Theory is so last millennium. The current trend is towards dynamic action based learning with full delegate inclusion – sweat, board markers and tears.
Include plenty of decision making, discussion, physical movement and innovation in your bag of tricks. If your training does not wow the crowd, you will be a one time, one hit, “I wonder what happened there?” trainer.
- Model – You have got to have a model. I have the Matthew 5 M’s for Accelerated Business Growth Model, and the Consultative Selling 13 Pillars. They give credibility, a framework for delegates to help them implement your brilliant ideas and a differentiator to set you apart from all the other trainers and coaches knocking on the decision maker’s door.
- Blog Site / Website – I see so many people proudly unveil their expensive semi – animated websites as they confidently assume that a brochure site will heat up the phone and pay their rent next year. It will NOT. Isolated websites can no longer compete with blog sites where the SEO is instant and connected. You need a WordPress blog site to take off and get customers, along with a stream of high quality, original material in the form of blog posts and other products (more in a moment) that are tagged, tagged & tagged to bring you new traffic that is pre-qualified and ready to be warmed by your words of wisdom.
- Repurposing your content – PRODUCTS – This is the single most neglected area for Independent Trainers wishing to grab more days next year. They are missing the better fees, the hungry corporate customers and important opportunities for expansion.
I mean, how hard is it to read your best post into your smart phone to create a podcast? Today, there is no excuse – I started Podcasting in 2007 and it was a major technological challenge to get them rendered and uploaded on to the decent podcast sites. And, sometimes, it cost money to do so as well!!!
- Make a FILM – If you have got a nosebleed just thinking about recording the sound of your own voice, then you will probably pass out at my next suggestion…
When you add Camtasia (PC) or Screenflow (Mac) to your computer, you can record over your PowerPoint slide deck to create an MP4 film – This is the future. Films are it. Films are what people want – You can add them to your training. You can add them to your marketing and you can add them to your social media to really bring up your marketing game to a competitive level.
- Show Reel – When you have made enough films and have purchased your Hey Mic to record your live speeches, you can then paste together the best of your output to make an outstanding and memorable training show reel to wow all that see it. You can send this to corporations, agencies and speaker agencies as well. You will officially be playing in the big leagues.
- Key Note Speech – If you seriously want to move your fee levels up from discounted subcontractor rates to the main professional independent tier, then you need to turn your training experience, your life experience, your persona and your model into a Key Note Speech.
This will be something persuasive, charismatic, fact filled and moving. And, it will set you apart from the also trained, the theory pedlars and the chaff.
Use minimal visuals – stunning pictures work well, a bit of punchy music and, “Meet the audience where they are” with your content, technical detail and pitch level.
Record all your speeches for feedback and improvement purposes as well as to bulk out your show reel.
- Webinars – What do you get when you put your films, keynote speeches, products, models and charisma into a live show? A mind blowing webinar that acts as an unbeatable demonstration vehicle for all those people who are a little too far away to meet and warm up with a lunch.
Think of this as 3 months marketing achieved in 60 minutes.
Essential for your webinar is to get interaction, to have real decision makers at the other end and to put your best work into producing something lively, interactive and value packed.
That’s it – Your Things To Do list for the rest of 2018 – And the incentive? If you get started, keep going with persistence and focus, you will enjoy more training days, with better paying clients, more interesting delegates and you will end the year with a smile on your face, a pot full of cash and a fist full of great testimonials saying that you are an AMAZING Independent Trainer.
Need help to get started? How far down the list did you get when you switched from, “Done that!” to “Oh, I’d better do that”?
If you need some help, support or advice please do feel free to E Mail Matthew at; email@example.com
Wishing You – May every training day you deliver in 2019 leave you happy, richer and more fulfilled through delivering great wisdom with great value to a fully appreciative audience who then clamour to have you back again.
And. All the best with your To Do List in 2018.
About the Author – Matthew Hill provides coaching and courses for Independent Trainers wishing to build their brand and IP, up their marketing game, deliver effective independent content and enter the big leagues when it comes to compensation and client acquisition. He has worked in 30 countries and worked with people representing 80 nationalities. His 4th book – Going for Growth in 2019.
Or, “I am now an Good Independent Trainer – So, What Do I Do To Get More Days And At A Better Rate?”
You are passionate about helping people resolve their issues and learn to help themselves. You have accumulated hard won experience and realised your dream of becoming an effective independent trainer. So –
– How will you now build your independent trainer or coach business?
– How will you network to grow your list of useful and high value contacts? And,
– How will you get your name and message out their using Social Media to generate qualified and appropriate interest in your independent training and coaching services?
Fear – You dread the idea of becoming an isolated star trainer with next to no clients – unwittingly keeping all your much needed talent away from individuals in need who could easily benefit from your experience.
Wish – You know what you dream of;
– To receive warm enquiries from people who ALREADY know who you are, respect what you stand for and are willing to pay a premium to use your independent training services because they work.
– You wish to spend less time hustling for business and more time in the flow – conducting successful group and individual training and coaching sessions.
Action – Join Our Webinar – Marketing to Get More Training Days with Less Hassle and No Hustle;
In this 1 hour and 20 minute high energy, content rich and interactive web based seminar, we will cover the 3 areas you need to invest in if your Independent Training and Coaching service is to grow;
1) Activity – Remember – No effort – No outcome. We will show you where many new independent trainers and coaches go wrong (and reveal the worst crime of all), and list the strategies, tactics and moves you must make in order to succeed.
2) Organisation – Building your identity and passion-based professional BRAND by marketing like a pro and learning the structures and processes required.
Most people fail with their own attempts or give up before they have built a complete Brand. We will show you where NOT to waste your time and where you need laser focus to generate engagement (its all about getting to the higher levels of engagement.) And, you will learn to build IP assets / informational products using your knowledge, qualifications and experience. Informational products that stand out from the crowd; gain you a reputation as an expert and command attention on Social Media, even as you sleep.
3) Dynamism – We will shake you from your current state of cultural modesty (“I couldn’t possibly do that”) to having you OWN your personal experiences and articulating your deal sheet of past victories in a media friendly way that generates results – incoming warm enquiries. We will make high-octane networking a reality for you and give you solid marketing ideas. They will work for you and you will have the chance to access the step-by-step process that takes you from “I don’t know how to do that” to, “I have just completed my amazing product, pitch or plan.”
Take Away – By the end of this informative webinar you will be given at least 3 effective marketing tactics to work on. When you implement them you will benefit from their proven power. And, we will give you the chance to acquire our Independent Trainer Growth Bundle to guide you along the sure and enjoyable path to informational products, a professional identity, an effective brand, positive networking and the generation of valid incoming mediation enquiries.
It’s not for everybody.
We want to speak with the people who will get the most benefit from the webinar so, please do NOT join if you;
– Don’t have a sense of fun and adventure
– Have zero intention of investing in yourself to grow your independent trainer service business
– Possess a closed mind when it comes copywriting and social media. Or,
– Think that clients will find you by magic and telepathy so none of this is necessary
Still reading? Good.
No Cost – There is no fee for attending the webinar and there are limited places. If you wish to expand your independent trainer practice and are ready for the challenge. If you believe in yourself, and want to follow our proven step-by-step guide, then there is only one place to be at 6PM UK time on, 21st November 2017 – 7PM Paris time – 1PM New York – Register now to attend the Marketing to Get More Training Days with Less Hassle and No Hustle Webinar. Click here and follow the instructions;
We look forward to speaking with you on 6PM UK, Wednesday, 21st November 2017 – 7PM Paris time. 1PM New York