How to get out from behind the desk and shake your marketing booty to create a minor book marketing sensation (and justify all the pain and suffering of writing the book in the first place.) The Numbers Over 97% of … Continue reading
“Listen out for the quietly whispered truth and the mighty doors will open before you and reveal your gift.” Quote from US President, Donald J. Trump, 5th of Never Happened 2019. Face to face networking is, simultaneously, a feared sweaty … Continue reading
For Independent Trainers Who Wish To Experience Faster Growth And Enjoy Higher & Sustainable Income
What is the Going For Growth Bootcamp?
We intend to deliver an intense one day Bootcamp group training / learning day in Basel on 6th April 2019. And, to make the day effective, we will also provide you with supporting materials and guidance before you arrive, in the form of simple, remote pre-work. You can do as much or as little preparation as you like before you attend the day.
On the day, we will look at your professional identity and brand, illustrate how informational products and social media can help to build your tribe / crowd / database, and, see how your philosophy can be expressed in the best way through your communication, to get your message out and attract the best people to your offering.
Our support package includes short handbooks, coaching, an action plan and a library of materials including helpful films. You can book just the day or buy the package and the day. The choice is yours. Are you an experienced professional, possibly with no published informational assets yet, and, not quite enough clients? The Basel Bootcamp day will teach you how to become a more confident, independent solopreneur / entrepreneur – Owning your own bundle of knowledge based assets, a functioning and proven marketing / sales process, and, thus benefiting from a healthy supply of warm incoming business enquires supporting the growth of your profitable independent business.
The Going for Growth Bundle and Bootcamp will enable you to experience a good quality of life – QOL, in which you feel time-rich, financially well rewarded for the work you do, whilst being independent, happy and fully expressed in your professional life.
Is this you?
Are you an independent solopreneur trainer or coach, a passionate service or product provider, keen to expand your businesses (and, a speaker of English!)
When should you come to the Bootcamp?
You have already started your business, found your first customers and delivered your first product / services. And you have now accumulating enough work experience to be effective independently and wish to accelerate your rate of growth. And, you are hungry to get “start to finish” help that will ensure that you do the right things, avoid the wrong things and have assistance and support, as you move from “newbie” to establishing yourself and your business in your chosen field.
What is the benefit for you?
As far as we are aware, this is the ONLY complete system on the market that has a beginning, a middle, and, an end, allowing the individual to actually build all that they need to generate a warm, current and qualified pipeline of incoming business enquiries.
We think it is the ONLY template available that allows the independent operator to construct a viable business in 60 action days, meaning that you can plan when you will work on building your informational assets, your marketing and selling structures and you can confidently predict your own end-date for this building process.
And, it is the ONLY offer that comes with live access to experts when required. This is not a “remote guru” programme where the main expert is separated from the learners.
Going for Growth Bundle Offering – The Offer Support Materials List;
- Going for Growth in 2019 – A short 13 Part Handbook including 130 guiding coaching questions
- Matthew’s 5M Marketing Success Model – The Business Growth Accelerator Elements
- What’s Stopping You? Audit – A resource to get the independent business owner beyond their Self Limiting Beliefs – SLBs
- Marketing Effectiveness Audit – A quick test to see what has already been created.
- 60-Day Business Build Action “Postcards” – The Template for building a business from nothing to generating warm incoming enquiries
- Coaching Support – A number of live 45 to 70 minute coaching sessions helping independents to get passed their issues, blockers and problems
- Mastermind Group Clinics – A Remote deep dive into specific topics that the group are struggling with
- Basel Bootcamp, Saturday, 6th April 2019 – The Bootcamp experience that brings great people together, supported by The Going for Growth Bundle
TAKE ACTION – Contact Matthew if you are interested via email@example.com today
More Details on the 8 Parts
- Going for Growth in 2019 – Short 13 Part Handbook with 130 coaching questions
Outlining the concepts of the 13-Step Blueprint that EVERY successful business must follow, build and maintain to survive, grow and make money. This book will help you get your head in the game and show the scope of the work that is required. It contains gentle and reflective coaching questions at the end of each of the 13 parts to help you expand awareness of what your business requires before you start your big build.
2. Matthew’s 5M Marketing Model – Business Growth Accelerator
MP4 Film expanding on the 5Ms – Meet – Your identity pitch, Message – Your published book stating your credo, essence and offer – Make – The importance of creating assets – products that transfer value – Market – A marketing sequence that generates warm enquiries for you – Mastermind Group – Joint Venturing and collaborating with complementary operators in a related field. This film aims to educate and inform you about what is required in the next phase. Punchy and to the point, you will learn more about the 5 Ms and what each element can do for you to help you create the business you want.
3. What’s Stopping You? Audit
This book represents an invaluable tool to help you complete your journey. From identifying the thoughts that are blocking you to overcoming and getting over your doubts and fears, to leap forward toward action, product creation, funnel design and profitable independence. Some say that this is the most freeing part of the whole programme.
4. Marketing Effectiveness Audit
Your Marketing Asset Checklist
You will be surprised at how much of the list you have already started, created or have “somewhere”. You can build upon this and finish quickly once you understand the whole picture, what your assets do and what is required to complete your business build.
5. 60-Day Business Build Action “Postcards”
The aim here is to guide you through your build in the LEAST POSSIBLE TIME AND NUMBER OF STEPS
We set you up ready to;
- a) Plan your next months with a paper calendar placed somewhere visible, such as on your fridge, with your 60 highlighted action days.
- b) Schedule your power postcard workdays on your fridge calendar. One a day, 3 a week or whatever will fit with your work schedule, family life, travel plans, etc.
- c) Get your partner and child to “bully” you into keeping discipline, preparing to do the work and staying on track to complete your active build to completion 60 Day Business Build Calendar on your fridge
Where does this fit in? You will have expanded your marketing mind in the first section (Going for Growth etc.) and will be broadly aware of what you need to do, who you are, etc. The 60 – Day Business Build is the time to commit and hold firm to a practical and powerful SCHEDULE, working in a focused and professional way to build up your marketing and informational assets.
Every week you will receive a specific set of task instructions that will take you from, “I don’t have a clear idea of what to do” to, “Wow, I have just built a business in just over two months.”
6. Coaching Support
You will probably run into some blockers or technical issues around Sequencing, Identity & Brand, Offering or Target Audience. Most people do.
At this critical phase, you will receive the support you need with 2 45 to 70 minute coaching calls to move you passed any blockages, obstructions or issues. Just schedule a Gotomeeting session and an expert will help you through.
7. Mastermind Group Clinics
The topics to be discussed will by chosen by YOU – The Mastermind Group Members – 3 to 7 people in each cohort.
These interactive, educational deep dives aim to explore specific subject areas in greater detail, lay out the actions required with clarity and pragmatic simplicity to get the group beyond any mental or technical issues that they are experiencing.
8. Basel Bootcamp Event
Matthew’s Going for Growth Business Bootcamp, Saturday, 6th April 2019, An intensive session (IN ENGLISH) to help you work on, complete and accelerate your build, start your marketing sequence and fill in any gaps that you have.
We will make products, hone your brand and take you from 35 – 70% of the way there to almost all of the way there (And, ALL the way there, if you manage to complete all your homework!). BTW – In this way, the get together generates the most productive of outcomes for you.
Money – Back Guarantee
If you join the programme, complete the course work, and, after 9 months, have not made back at least twice the income that you paid for the programme in customer revenues, then, Matthew will be return to you, what you paid for the bundle and bootcamp. So, there is no financial risk.
Cost – We provide two options? –
A, Just the Basel Bootcamp Day – Price – £395.00 Or,
B, The 8 Element Going from Growth Bundle AND Bootcamp, including the event, coaching support, Bundle Materials and your full money-back guarantee – £895.00
Super Early Bird Offer – If you book TODAY, we offer you this one-time special price of £295 for, just the Bootcamp day, (or), £495.00 for the whole programme and 8 part package Please. Note; to qualify for this discount, you must book and complete payment of the PayPal invoice we will send you, by the 5th March 2019.
We think we have thought of everything that the new and growing business owner needs to know to successfully build up their independent training business to completion and to generate a valuable in-flow of warm new customer enquires.
If you wish to have a personal one-to-one conversation with Matthew to discuss whether this is the right course for you, simply E Mail to firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a brief call or call +44 7540 65 9995 and leave your details.
And, What can the Average Working Joe do about this?
Have you ever observed the energy, focus, and peaceable state of the truly inspired and inspiring leader? Hopefully you will have worked closely with someone on their way up or an exceptional person pursuing excellence – Passionately radiating light, wisdom and enthusiasm to all those around them.
In this piece, we will explore what the phenomenon of inspiration is all about and answer some of the questions you may have about how these remarkable people came to be great in the first place, why some of us mere mortals are not so inspired, and, in closing, we will bring it all together to see what can be borrowed or stolen from these shining stars for our own amusement, benefit and improvement.
11 Qualities Of An Inspirational Leader
The common factor linking all inspirational people is single-mindedness. Question – If I ask you today, what one industrial sector, single product or service would you focus on, to the exclusion of all other things for 7 days a week for the next 10 years, what would you select?
Answer – If you came up with anything just now, you may have the potential to join the pantheon of greats. If you felt scarce, fearful or overwhelmed when faced with making a critical choice and excluding all other things, then you are… NORMAL!
The vast majority of us wish to keep our options open, hedge our bets – Indeed we believe that risk is reduced this way. The price we pay for our safety is that we will never make a Steve Jobs’ sized dent in the universe.
It is laser focus excluding all distractions, (along with some of the other factors described below) that differentiates the truly inspiring leader.
- Work Hard Play Hard, Or Just Work Hard?
Magazine profiles of successful people mostly contain visceral descriptions of their wealthy, comfortable and luxurious life styles and the extraordinary benefits, exclusive access and general privilege that they now enjoy.
These puff pieces miss the point.
The formula for sustained success is abstinence, self-control, frugality and temperance. The venal and self-indulgent tend to be entitled brats – The offspring of dynasties or “clogs to brogues” parents. Many of these silver spooned party animals will end up in jail, rehab or sitting injured having wrapped their luxury car around a tree.
It is not about the trappings.
These can be seen as simply a visible measure of success (as if life was a video game.) The other end of the showing off scale is more useful to observe. Warren Buffett, the most successful investor of all time, lives nowhere, in an average house and drives an average car – And, he is the best.
Sustained hard work requires that we move beyond laziness, passivity and inaction. Once we have conquered our lethargy, the next demon temptation to be resisted is giving in too early to the rewards of our initial success – Victory lies in restraint. We must win out over our primitive lust to consume and our need to alter our psychological state. If we can get passed this, then we reach the final, where we are asked to… conquer ourselves. Success will amplify our essential personality. If you are an asshole now, then building a global empire will turn you into a world-class asshole. Many would look at the lives of Zuckerberg or Gates and find them dull (who wants to wear a grey T shirt every day or spend 10 years + coding?) Their stimulation and psychological pay off came from turning ideas into innovation and having that innovation take hold, and, then be super adopted by the world. And, through making an impact on a scale that only they could ever have believed in. Formula – Hard work, discipline, focus, single-mindedness, etc. etc.
- Being an Agent of Change
Question – Are you more inspired by a humble hard working entrepreneur’s eventual success or by a brash and vulgar show-off? Answer – Your reaction probably says more about you than them. Industrial growth requires a blend of just the right amount of God Complex and hard work, combined with an exhibition and demonstration of repeatable behaviours, shown to acolytes as the inspiring leaders radiates out their model of winning behaviours that others can then copy and carry out on a vast scale and at great pace. The leader is a working role model, modelling the best version of what is possible to be picked up, adopted and multiplied by their followers. You are only a leader if others choose to follow and you must be relatable in the workspace, so that average Working Joe will want to join your club. With this formula your crowd of fans will grow in devotion aiming to emulate your example.
The inspiring leader must be seen to be working harder than their staff, contributing more input, and, generating plenty of unique output connected to measurable success. It is this loop that deepens the tribe’s faith in the leader’s brand, myth and legend and so carries the crowd on a cushion of trust and belief to perform with excellence, even when the boss is not present.
- Engagement & Delegation
Over the years I have had the privilege to work with some of the greats. They are, mostly, easy to talk to, charismatic and fluent, clear and simple in their communication style, and, generous with their time and attention. They appear to have plenty of free mind space and intellectual bandwidth. They indulge the newbie with curiosity, constructive enquiry and emanate encouragement. In fact, they often skip Blanchard’s “Tell” phase (from his Situational Leadership model) and move right along to inspirational coaching.
They use a mechanism.
No man is an island. Rome wasn’t built in a day, and, you need a lot of people to build a cathedral. Inspiring leaders know that it is about inducting people to your vision, your version and your club. Then, it is about engaging the hearts and minds of your new acolytes. Now comes the ordinary bit – Thinking up and organising what the new, high potential worker bees will actually be doing. This turns a visionary blue print for world domination into an on the ground, reality based, work project.
Heads of Global web platforms, dominant software companies, World beating manufacturers, super financial institutions, or, far-reaching retailers have something in common – They understand their subject matter and domain to the highest possible level. And, these leaders are able to communicate, despite the complexity of their sector, in a way that is hypnotically engaging, authentically exciting, and clearly, beneficial to their new workers and the end customer. This level of depth is achieved not ascribed. They must hone their vision and translate their dream into the most inspiring story and present this to all around them with a deep and insightful knowledge of the hopes, fears, dreams and aspirations of their audience. They must sing a song that everyone wants to hum along to.
- A Natural Born Influencer
Great leaders can emerge from the best of backgrounds or the worst. Both tracks end at the same station. Managed privilege can lead to “Nobless oblige” and the self-fulfilment of an in-group’s high expectations. Here many hot-housed princelings rise to the gold standard. They do so combining effort and access. Along the way they must develop resilience, confidence and pick up the secrets of success, whispered exclusively to members of their rarefied club.
In contrast, the 7th born of 9, brought up in poverty in the countryside can, in exceptional circumstances, rise up from obscurity to become something of note. With contrarian will, these extraordinary outliers grab their lucky break with both hands (finding a sponsor / mentor / conducing work environment) and work twice as hard as their peers, to make progress up the greasy pole. Think old Hollywood, Gerry Robinson (CEO of the Granada group of companies) or the stories of Billy Connolly coming from the slums of Glasgow.
- Obsession Obsession Obsession
What else but a pure and constructive form of obsession could have you loose everything TWICE, and, still want to get back on your entrepreneurial horse and try again? Their drive is unnatural and is not solely motivated by the goal itself but by their deep, burning and unanswerable question – “Am I good enough?” “Will I live up to my peer’s expectations?” “I am worthy?” “Am I loved?” Or, they are whipped by a mantra every waking hour – “I will never be poor again” “I will never go hungry again” “No one will laugh at my failure ever again” “I must be the best at this one thing” “Nothing will stop me” etc.
The consequence of these, quite frankly, unhealthy and exhausting drivers is a forged determination for progress, growth and forward momentum that laughs in the face of doubt, fatigue or taking an easier path.
The marriage of drive and discovery produces purpose – An all-consuming engine of work, invention, implementation and problem solving – Getting up, dusting yourself off and starting again and again and again.
Their purpose can be simple. If you wish your men to build a ship, inspire them with a vision of a far off and exotic land.
The inspiring leader’s vision must be clear, relevant, believable and achievable. We forget that Kennedy’s “We will land on the moon” speech was made almost a decade before the moon landings actually happened.
The inspirational leader begins with the why? Why this is important. Why does it matter? Why the benefits outweigh the risks, cost and effort. And, why change needs to happen.
Then comes the what? – Of before, and, the what? of after – Contrast is important in converting a speech into an effective instrument of inspiration.
Then, in small release batches, comes the how? – The method, route and many problem busting solutions.
- The Iceberg Leader
We need to remember that whilst we see the share price, the mansion and, maybe, choose to envy the lifestyle, we do not see the 1000s of hours and all the failures and defeats that went into creating the leader’s success evident today. We need to be reminded that they started in their parent’s garage. We do not focus on the multiple rejections that the inspirational leader suffered and successfully recovered from or the 99 other people who attempted the same thing and are now living in modest obscurity – Their version being one of the many versions that did not go on to be adopted by the masses. The current dignity and poise of our hero belies the struggle, the price paid and the pain overcome.
They laughed in the rain long before you saw them smiling in the sunshine.
- Why is Worker Joe Less Inspired or Inspiring than our Hero Leader?
Great question – You probably come from neither privilege nor poverty. You were not programmed by fear or favour. You were not drilled in hard work or subjected to punishments that needed to be escaped. Worker Joe was programmed for compliance, loyalty, community and belonging. Worker Joe was conditioned to settle for a quieter life, a safe life or one where physical and emotional pleasure came at the weekend and became the measure of happiness and success.
Not everyone is destined to be inspirational. In fact, if everyone became an entrepreneurial legend, then…who would muck out the stables or run the machines busily extruding plastic widgets?
- What Can Worker Joe Learn From The Inspirational Leader?
At last, we get to the payoff! The inspirational leader naturally assumed their place. For them, there never seemed a choice in this, or, a viable alternative. The same cannot be said of Worker Joe.
But Worker Joe can change.
Worker Joe can follow the inspirational leader’s behavioural formula, think like they do, drive hard like them and communicate like them too. Each moment or sentence is possible. Putting them all together though and sustaining action and momentum? – That is a different matter.
For you, there is now more thinking, choosing and voluntary sacrifice to contemplate before you decide to step up, step into the inspirational leader’s shoes, and, begin the long and hard journey to the top.
Are you ready to face yourself? If you wish to attempt the process of becoming an inspirational leader, it will be conscious and more difficult than it was for the people born to sit in the hot seat.
If you feel like trying on the cloak, do please reflect upon and answer some of the questions below…
Question 1 – If you had to choose to do one thing and one thing only for the next 20 years, what would it be? Where would it be? Who would be involved? And, why would you choose it? (And what sacrifices would you willingly make to stay on that path?)
Question 2 – Have you ever had the discipline to move beyond physical and emotional gratification to achieve something higher and more worthwhile? What was it? Did you stay the course and complete your journey? Did it pay off? And, are you prepared to step up, scale up and risk all by having another go now?
Question 3 – Have you ever succeeded in inspiring those around you (friends, colleagues or family) to attempt something new? Have you jumped up on a chair and broadcast your vision with passion, using the best of your persuasive abilities to inspire a hungry crowd? And, did it work? Did they buy into the future you were selling? Did they follow you? Did they take action? BTW – Did you get a big rush out of it? And, do you want to repeat that experience many times over?
How do you feel about your answers?
If you wish to have a conversation about inspirational leadership and learn more about our courses and coaching, then do call Matthew Hill today, leaving your details and availability on 07540 65 9995.
And, Please like, share and forward to the star in your tribe… Thank you.
About the Author
Matthew Hill is a coach, trainer, keynote speaker, author and, sometime leader of talent. He teaches and works with some of the largest companies in the world as well as helping young talent, SME companies and independent thinkers. His first book – Learn how to LEAD; Believe, Behave & Become was published in 2012 and is available now on Kindle.
How Many Of The 10 OLD Marketing Crimes Are You Guilty Of?
With the rampaging march of technology, social media and ever diminishing audience attention spans, it pays now, more than at anytime in the last 20 years, to keep on top of your marketing output. We are all competing with more suppliers over a greater area and need to stay ahead of the, “Not them again” fatigue that causes poverty through customer irritation.
In no particular order here are the TOP 10 MARKETING CRIMES – Do keep score of how many old habits you are guilty of as you read and check your results at the end. Be honest now. Good luck…
1) A Newsletter carved in stone. You stressed and worried about the first one you launched to 50 people all those years ago and were so proud at receiving your first pleasant response. Do you remember? You may have even received an order for business from your first few issues! Wow.
Several years later, you have fallen into a routine. You haven’t updated your format. And, the content is all about you. The text is repetitive and tired and you are going around the block for the umpteenth time giving out educational advice that, in your heart of hearts, you know most people either already know, are not interested in, or, think is slightly quaint and, itself, out-dated.
Action – Start again. Ask, “Who will be my paying customers over the next 2-3 years?” Where are they? What do they read / listen to / watch? What channel works for them? And, where is the GAP today in their knowledge or wisdom that I can fill with insights and service?
(More on this in a moment)
2) The Repeating Repeating event. Again, do you remember feeling like you had just discovered penicillin when you held your first Breakfast Briefing, Monthly Mixer or Multi-Speaker Do? And, good for you. You put your all into inviting senior decision making people to a high value demonstration of your wisdom and originality and it was probably lapped up by your audience and generated a healthy return on your invested time and money.
Times have moved on. Now everyone seems time scarce, attention scare and oh, so cynical. Your prospects now send juniors who spend too much time looking at their phone. Your venue costs have gone up and your returns have all but disappeared. And the quality of speaker you can attract to help you out has diminished too.
Action – Once more – Is it time to think again? – Do you need a physical event? If so, what about partnering with a complimentary service or product provider and splitting the cost whilst enlarging your potential base? Who could dove-tail with you and bring a wider and fresh audience? As customers become more scattered around the globe, is a remote version of this event a good idea – A webinar or filmed demonstration? It is definitely time to change your whole approach?
3) Your Dusty Flat Website – It was so exciting when you updated your old 5 page brochure site to include rotating pictures, a call me back button, or even added a news feed. Wow – Nosebleed territory.
Your returns on the website peaked many moons ago and people are finding you through other means now. As you read through your site today, you realise it all about you you you. It is overly factual and your copy fails to engage the customer or prospect. It does not interrupt them and take them on a journey. There is no story, no insight and no call to action that is compelling enough for them to – CALL YOU. And, you have a list of teaser happenings to lure new customers in that makes two assumptions –– That you have enough traffic to make this work for you, and, that they don’t mind the thin content you are providing as bait.
Action – Let us get real. Unless you are going to spend real bucks on getting something web-tastic with a shopping cart, then we are probably wasting our time here putting all our eggs in the website basket. Whilst websites are no longer number one, why not think about an intelligent strategy to proceed with. There are cheaper and more flexible versions of websites via WordPress that incorporate blogs, measure responses and allow for far more interactivity. And ones that allow opt ins for joining your list that can be connected to your newsletter via an autosponder sequence to take new joiners on a relevant and escalating journey of engagement, and, with a proportion of them, will lead to an initial sale – an automated journey that does not require human intervention and the salary that accompanies it.
4) Words Words Words – Not SuperCopy – It still amazes me that plenty of otherwise bright company executives (over performing in their core areas of expertise), continue to operate with a complete blind spot to accepting that persuasive and well written copy actually generates action, a response and represents a return on time and the marketing money you spend! Instead we see 1000s of words about me me me, facts, features and detail that bore readers, turn away needy customers and fail to promote the company’s best assets – Their product / service, the quality of your interaction, or, your unique selling advantage.
The answers are out there enabling you to learn about key influencing copy devices that will move your observer prospects up to an energy level where they take action; that will shift those passive but needy customers to reach out and get in touch with you. And, with automated systems, they will do more than half of this whist you are getting on with delivery.
Action – If you can’t wait until number 10) then do call me (Matthew Hill 07540 65 9995) with your details and we can talk through the immediate actions you would be wise to contemplate, decide to do and get started on.
5) Non Selling Sales People – When you employed that merry band of brothers and sisters in your sales department, you did not realise just how sales-phobic they would become and how quickly they would chose to grow cosy and cosseted in that comfortable office you provide, making nice warm calls to already warm connections whilst failing to break new ground and look for new players on the block.
Given a chance to change, you find that they defend their cosy “keeping in touch” non-selling version of communication… to the death, and, resist your pleas for them to step up their game and do something challenging and relevant.
Action – Is it time to challenge your whole sales and marketing process and simplifying it down to something that works?!?! Your new successful process will emerge as you study the sales decision making process of your median customer? Where do they begin, enquire, question? And, What do they need? What assurances work? What demonstration and proofs convert? What words work? And, What is the quickest or optimum route from “Don’t know you” to “Know you, like you, trust you and let’s buy from you on multiple occasions”? When would now be an excellent time to start asking these questions?
6) E Mailed to sleep – Whilst E Mail has been around for 25 years, it’s abuse and massive overuse has lead to GDPR, spam screening and a vast decrease in the power of any single E Mail.
The average marketing executive still thinks they know how to write a compelling and hip message that will work. OMG.
Action – If there is one thing to commit to doing in the next 12 months, make it be this – Find out how to write compelling, sincere and action inducing E Mails that work. Please, pretty please and please with a cherry on the top do this one thing.
7) Brochures – There was a time when having your own bespoke, designed and professionally printed brochure was a sign of status and kudos. With studio package shots and agency copy, they were a thing of beauty and value.
Now everything moves quickly, is on-line and uses realistic looking E mock ups of printed books and boxes, making your product look even better than it does in real life. So, what is the point of a brochure? And how much does it cost to print and send out one copy? And, does anyone read them anymore?
Action – Break that habit. Add up the real cost and ask yourself if it is the way to go? Dan Kennedy, the undisputed king of marketing, would advice moving that budget into flyers, newsletters and offers. And, who is to say he is wrong?
8) Trade fairs – Do you remember 2 or 3 recessions ago, how much fun trade fairs were? We had gift bags that contained things we wanted! Alcohol flowed freely. There were gimmicks and gadgets and, the pace of change in some industries was so fast you HAD to be there, to get the education and new contacts you needed, just to keep up.
All of that has gone. The budgets are slashed, the attendees are now juniors and not decision makers, the speeches are pat and less inspiring, and, the gifts are not worth collecting.
Action – Let’s get back some of the magic of the olden days with a bit of pizzazz, some energy and humour and a speech that has a CTA – Call to Action at the end of it. And, let us make it super-professional. Save money by designing your communication pathway to qualify out the time wasters and tire kickers. And, actively qualify in your real prospects, engage with them, warm them up, and, follow up proactively, professionally and with purpose. Have them remember that first meeting with you at the trade fair as the start of something exciting and exceptional.
9) Social Media –
Do you remember your first brave steps on Facebook and LinkedIn? And do you remember your first successes? Oh, treasured memories.
Oh dear – If there were just one Crime Sheet area that had to be pointed out, this would be it. – A litany of FB and LI groups with 72 members. Me Me Me posts that singularly fail to connect with your customers. Twitter accounts with 17 followers. I could go on…
Action – Stop your awkward half-hearted presence campaigns on social media now before you embarrass yourself. And, start the whole thing again. Curate meaningful content, test your text, write from the perspective of the reader and not your company, and, don’t just scatter your seed to the wind – Ask for opt ins and exchange a small meaningful product for your target’s contact details and permission to communicate with them.
10) Database – My regular readers will now be mouthing my following sentence – “If you don’t have a database, you don’t have a business”. And by database, today, we do not mean a list typed in from that dusty collection of business cards kept in each marketing employee’s desk. And, we don’t mean the list you call a database that the Trade Fair gave you – That is a spam list of people who actively don’t know you and are becoming increasingly irritated at getting random offers and interruptions just because they visited the Excel centre once and came away a some lousy bag full of pointless brochures and low quality gifts.
All data was not created equal – The undifferentiated pile of contacts!!! – Are they hot, warm or cold? How old are they? Are they prospects, suspects, peers or competitors? What contact have you had with them? Do you have permission to contact them? Have you qualified them IN or OUT? – NOBODY KNOWS.
Action – Start again – Use your intelligence to start a completely new database with a big set of doors on it. Only let in warms and hots. Qualify and examine each dataset on the way in. Have one plan for the warms, and a more energetic one for the hots. Automate the generation of new enquiries and spend some time working with each one to get those all-important first encounter touch points right.
Go back and ask, “Who do you best serve?” Who will benefit most from your wisdom and experience? And, build a funnel to contact and develop all warms and hots in an intelligent, legal and optimally effective way.
Do forward this post please to someone who urgently needs to get with the programme.
Add up your score – How did you do? Any sweaty moments? (Have you been totally honest?) – Where are you falling short or finding yourself stuck in bad old habits and the past? Please now read on about what to do next, based on your results…
Score – So, what is your Crime Sheet number?
***3 or Less – You are in the modern era. You are keeping yourself abreast of modern methods, investing in knowledge and marketing. You are on the ball – We know you will do well this year and next. Good for you.
***4 – 7 – OMG – Call this emergency hot line now! – Matthew Hill 07540 65 9995 – You are at the edge of the cliff and it could crumble under your feet sooner than you think. Growth is by no means assured for this year or next. Now is the time to take action.
***8 – 10 – Don’t worry – Whilst you are beyond help, you will have hopefully bagged enough cash when your old marketing delivered cash and peaked in a bygone era and you do not need to be competitive in the modern era. We wish you well in your hobby company and upcoming retirement.
About the Author
Matthew Hill helps organisations and solopreneurs spruce up their marketing efforts to quickly, cleanly and effectively leap into short sequence, copy driven and ethical marketing endeavours that seek out active customers, interrupt prospects respectfully and exchange value-for-access to allow for a speedy and dignified accent from “Who the hell are you?” to “Ah, great to hear from you. I am looking forward to learn more about how you will be helping me this year”
Matthew has worked with some of the largest companies in the world and now concentrates on small and medium sized training services businesses that wish to turn around their “survival” mode of existence and start to grow top line income, the quality of their target customers, and, begin to create super-fan clients that are happy to rave about you, advocate for you and help you become positively busy, happy and successful.
For a f’ree conversation with zero obligation, do take action now and call me – Leave your details with Matthew Hill on 07540 65 9995. Thanks and speak to you soon.
Collaborate or Die
We are meant to play nicely, work as a team and respect each other. In Part 1, we expanded on 10 reasons why this often fails to happen.
In this Part 3, we now look at the key desirable behaviours that, when practiced mindfully and regularly, WILL produce a team breakthrough, get the group to the goal and leave everyone alive, and, at least on speaking terms at the end.
As you move through the behaviours, ask yourself, “Do I do this? “Can I start doing this?” And, “Will I step up and do this regularly?”
15 Strong Suggestions
- Interrupt your dark defensive moments and fill them with light.
Experienced in so many ways as sarcasm, denial, anger, avoidance and justification, defensiveness – This is the burden suffered by most teams attempting to become more collaborative and effective.
Borrowed from anger management training courses, the best method is to spot the symptoms of early on-set defensiveness and divert the behaviour, diminish it or reverse it. If you are beginning to feel your blood boil, take a walk to the balcony, go smell the flowers and take your imagination to a place of cool, calm tranquillity to “reset” your body’s distracting chemicals.
- Coaching your colleagues through any resistance.
The majority of people will not instantly get behind a fresh idea or new change. They will choose to wait it out, criticise it, or, mount an attack.
Here, a coaching approach can be effective as you focus inside your colleague’s head to access both their imagination and logic circuits to help them do the work of processing change and getting on board for themselves. Questions that help to create different and contrasting futures are good – “What if we carry on as we are? What are the risks of this?” “If we had 10 times the resources available, what should we do next?” “If you were the team leader now, what course of action would you recommend?” Etc.
- Actively listening to your concerned colleague.
The problem with teams is that the confident, privileged and beautiful get most of the airtime. And this dynamic is actually reinforced by everybody in the team – even the oppressed, the shy, or, the outsiders. The reflectors, quiet geniuses and shy analysts are not prone to speak up, do not feel they have permission to speak and, thus, do not take up their share of the microphone.
Related to coaching but intruding less, listening is about getting the whole story out of the coachee / colleague. We can employ minimal encouragement – “That is important, please tell us more” “You were saying…” “And, what does this mean for our team?” Quieter members of the team may be more sensitive. If you overdo it they will clam up – Maintain a positive, still attention with minimal non-verbal, para-verbal and verbal prompts. This will be good for evening out the group’s share of voice, listening to all and including their ideas and concerns as well as counting the vote of everybody to form an inclusive group dynamic that will be effective in taking a diverse group all the way to a stretched goal.
- Building muscular resilience.
We can see resilience as the ability to bounce back from pressure, stress or becoming knocked off balance, AND, still being about to function effectively. In the politics of the team, possessing greater resilience can take people all the way to the top. And a lack of resilience will see someone being relegated to the oppressed group, or demoted to basic executive duties. They are sent to eat at the children’s table.
Resilience comes in 4 flavours – Physical, emotional, mental and spiritual. Teams or individuals can be encouraged to participate in simple and repeated exercises to stretch and build their resilience muscles. Physical – Regular exercise, monitoring diet and alcohol consumption. Emotional – Developing the habit of experiencing positive emotions through appreciation, gratitude and laughter. Mental – Simple maths exercises. Spiritual – Practicing your faith or thinking pure thoughts.
- Learning to resolve difference intelligently.
It is easy to sulk, withdraw and dismiss a different opinion from your own. This actually represents a form of defensiveness and will not allow a team to become optimally collaborative.
Imagine learning to reconcile difference to a level where, “I am OK & You’re OK”, becomes the default setting for the group. (We discuss a positive exception to this later).
What difference would this make to the atmosphere and energy in your team? The simplest method when two parties are on opposite sides of an argument or behaviour style (e.g. direct communicators v indirect communicators), is to reconcile the difference. We ask first, what is the benefit and contribution of each style, acknowledging that a diversity of approaches is actually NECESSARY for success. We then work on how we can accommodate those two benefits in team communications or by putting them into the project plan. E.g. direct people tell the unvarnished truth, which can be invaluable when a crisis is looming. Diplomatic indirect people keep the channels of communication open, maintain higher levels of trust and ensure the probability of long-term communication. It is easy to see that both styles are required. The task then is to design simple protocols that allow both styles to operate with respect and appreciation within the team.
- Two heads are better than one when solving a problem.
If you are a hammer, your default mode is to bash things on the head. Not great when changing the batteries in your watch. Again a diversity of approaches will be more effective.
Practicing problem solving can be a bonding process that deepens the respect and positive emotions of all team members. Weekly intellectual challenges involving abstract problems can be a fun team building activity that is secretly growing the team’s capacity to handle complex issue, resolve involved messes, and, operate smoothly and efficiently when a live business problem comes along.
- Trust underpins it all.
Without trust we have defensiveness, solo silos, and Machiavellian plots.
There are 3 components to trust – Ability, Benevolence and Integrity. Each must be in play to ensure positive vulnerability and promote trust in a high functioning collaborative team. Ability – Giving recognition to the skills, competence and experience of each team member is a way that quickly establishing better communication and inclusion in any team. X becomes the go-to person on subject Y. Benevolence – By this we mean that each member declares and proves that they are not wishing a negative outcome upon their colleagues. They wish to allow a beneficial or, at least, neutral state to exist. Integrity – My word is my bond. It is essential to continually keep your promises in order to maintain confidence in the overall performance of any team. If there is a weak link, the whole side will feel let down.
- The Licensed Pessimist.
The risk to any team is Groupthink, where a strong personality is accepted as leader and their ego expands to a level where they propose actions that represent foolhardy risk taking. The compliant and passive nodders around them, allow and encourage adoption of this fast-track route to disaster.
Challenging the precepts of 7. we deliberately create a rotating and official role that allows and encourages a critical view and gives full permission for that person to voice their concerns – The Licenced Pessimist. “What if the market does not recover? What then?” “Those numbers appear way too optimistic. How did you derive them?”
When immunity from revenge and animosity is established in the group’s ground rules, the role becomes effective and essential in stress testing all new input to quickly separate the wheat from the chaff.
- Holding everybody accountable.
Like a sulky child, the wayward executive defends their actions by saying – “Well I didn’t agree with the decision to go this route in the first place.” (Though they remained silent or did not actively disagree, when given the chance before the decision was made.) It is this lack of ownership that will lead to a suboptimal quality of work and poor outcomes.
Asking everybody to say the word, “agree” can be enough to reduce the number of passive passengers on the bus and encourage everybody to process the information to form an active and personally held view. More people are then included in the process of building strategy, planning and problem solving.
- Regular Brainstorming.
Habits are quick to form and hard to change. It is easier to repeat what you did yesterday than take a different approach today in order to get a stronger result tomorrow. We are conservative, risk avoidant and take comfort in repetition. The zone we live in is far from comfortable – We stay in horrible jobs, relationships or houses not out of comfort, but out of habit.
This activity will also count towards your resilience exercises. Brainstorming is about expanding the creative connections that you allow your imagination to make by expressing yourself freely. Exempt from criticism and editing, brainstorming moves in waves. There will be a burst of output, a lull, a second burst, and then a second lull. Keep going. It is often in the third burst that the gold is to be found.
- Turning passive to active.
What is written on the tombstone of most failed companies, “Well, we tried”. Not hard enough. Underperformance is supported in meetings and work by grey language, low energy sentences and half-hearted commitment. “I’ll try” is at the heart of all of them.
Challenge sluggish, monotone responses to requests. Do not take “Maybe” for an answer. When you are asked, “How you are in the morning?”, upgrade your answer from a monotone, “ffiinne, I suppose” to, “SUPERB AND FANTASTIC. THANKS FOR ASKING.“
- Get rid of blame.
The best companies react intelligently to crisis, drama and adverse external circumstance. They do not start to defend, point the finger or avoid responsibility.
The next time you have a company fire to put out and you follow the charter (point 15.) you will experience a difference in atmosphere and will have the chance to see the benefit of full-on collaboration in action. When people are scientific in their description of events this can be captured on a timeline. When they are objective in outlining the symptoms and measured in their analysis of likely causes, then you will experience the pay-off in investing to build collaborative mechanisms in your team.
- Moderation and facilitating collaboration.
The accidental hero boss can unintentionally ignore valuable input in order to maintain their hero brand. The neurotic and scared boss may shut down intelligent challenge, not because of the quality of the input, but due to their own insecurities. And, the time-scarce leader can move the meeting along, unconsciously, only asking group thinkers and fans for input, driven by a misguided and dangerous perceived need for peace and pace rather than quality and challenge.
The job of a great moderator is to even out the debate and include a wider base of people, delivering a more diverse and representative contribution – Sampling a diversity of opinion and actively encouraging the quieter sources of wisdom to share their contribution, speak up and be heard.
- Good Conflict.
Many companies employ “nice” people who are expected to be “nice”. What actually happens is they become avoidant and this allows stupider ideas to become policy in action, leading to disaster.
Promote the licensed critic, the robust challenger and include different opinions (and integrate these exotic gems via the process of reconciliation.) The smart move is to establish a protocol for allowed any civilised challenge within a robust but protected environment, to produce better suggestions, better processes, more considered solutions and a better customer experience. All this is done to generate improved products, services and engagement, the end result of which, will be experienced in higher income and healthier levels of profit.
- Capture collaboration in a charter How many great training initiatives generated on a Friday are quietly killed off at the 8.30AM reporting meeting on a Monday? A. Most of them. It is easier to let innovation, change and challenge die on the vine and to go back to those old habits that are, actually not serving you well, but feel like an old pair of shoes – At least familiar. The problem is, they represent a slow company suicide.
The formulation of a charter for collaborative team behaviours, formed collaboratively. Is that too obvious? It does not start with a stone tablet issuing from the CEO’s office. It does not come from an expensive off-site weekend jolly for Directors only. It comes from the floor. It evolves. It represents the voice and heart of everybody. And, it is signed up to by everybody – Volunteers stepping up, not coerced group thinkers just nodding along.
About the Author – Matthew Hill is a facilitator, trainer, writer, and public speaker, working with UK and International teams to get them beyond their blockages to create durable results in an exciting peer-to-peer atmosphere of exchange, fairness and excellence.
Contact Matthew on 075 40 65 9995 for a short conversation.
Or, “I am now a Good Independent Trainer – So, What Do I Have To Do To Get More Days And Charge A Better Rate?”
You are passionate about helping executives resolve their issues and help themselves by applying new skills you will teach them. You have accumulated hard won international experience and wish to realise your dream – becoming an effective and profitable independent trainer/coach. So –
– How will you now build up and complete your independent trainer or coaching business?
– How will you network to grow your list of useful and high value contacts? And,
– How will you get your name and message out there using Social Media to generate qualified and appropriate interest and response for your independent training and coaching services?
Fear – You dread the idea of becoming an isolated star trainer with next to no clients – unwittingly keeping all your much-needed talent away from individuals in need – the very people that could so easily benefit from your experience.
Wish – You know what you dream of;
– Receiving warm enquiries from people who ALREADY know who you are, respect what you stand for, and, are willing to pay a premium to access your independent training and coaching services…because they work.
– You wish to spend less time hustling for business and more time in the flow – Conducting successful group and individual training and coaching sessions.
Action – Join Our Webinar, 6PM UK, (7PM Paris time) on, 16th October 2018, Marketing to Get More Training Days with Less Hassle and No Hussle
In this 1 hour and 20 minute, high energy, content rich and interactive web based seminar, we will cover the 3 areas you need to invest in, if your Independent Training or Coaching service is to grow;
1) Activity – Remember – No effort – No outcome – No income. We will show you where many new independent trainers and coaches go wrong (and reveal the worst crime of all), and list the strategies, tactics and moves you must make in order to succeed.
2) Organisation – Building your identity and passion-based professional BRAND by marketing like a pro and learning the structures and processes required.
Most people fail with their own attempts or give up before they have built up their complete Brand. We will show you where NOT to waste your time and where you need laser focus and discipline to generate engagement (its all about getting to the higher levels of engagement.) And, you will learn to build IP assets / informational products using your existing knowledge, qualifications and experience. Informational products that stand out from the crowd; gain you a reputation as an expert, and, command attention on Social Media, even as you sleep.
3) Dynamism – We will shake you from your current state of cultural modesty (“I couldn’t possibly do that”) to having you OWN your personal experiences and articulating your deal sheet of past victories in a media friendly way that generates results – incoming warm enquiries. We will make comfortable networking a reality for you and provide solid marketing methods, structures and ideas. They will work for you, giving you the chance to access our step-by-step process that’s going to take you from “I don’t know how to do that” to, “I have just completed my amazing product, pitch or plan.”
Take Away – By the end of this informative webinar, you will be given at least 3 effective marketing tactics to work on. When you implement them, you will benefit from their proven power. And, we will give you the chance to acquire our Independent Trainer / Coach Business Growth Accelarator Bundle to guide you along the sure and enjoyable path to informational products, an outstanding professional identity, an effective brand, positive networking and the generation of valid warm incoming training and coaching enquiries.
It’s not for everybody…
We want to speak with the people who will get most benefit from the webinar so, please do NOT join if you;
– Don’t have a sense of fun and adventure
– Have zero intention of investing in yourself to grow your independent trainer service business
– Possess a closed mind when it comes copywriting and social media. Or,
– Think that clients will find you by magic and telepathy, so none of this is necessary
– Love your poverty just a little too much 😉
Still reading? Good.
Matthew – Matthew has built up international clients relationships using the marketing activities that he teaches and has won business from Governments and Global companies. He has worked in 30 countries and with the best; Jaguar Land Rover, Unilever, Danone, General Electric, SAP, REPSOL, Telefonica, Electrolux and Heineken. He has more than 9 years webinar, train the trainer and trainer coaching experience and was president of SIETAR UK for more than 5 years.
No Cost – There is no fee for attending the webinar and we only have limited places. If you wish to expand your independent trainer or coaching practice and are ready for the challenge. If you believe in yourself, and want to follow our proven step-by-step guide, then there is only one place to be at 6PM UK time on, 16th October 2018 – (7PM Paris time) – 1PM New York – Register now to attend the Marketing to Get More Training Days with Less Hassle and No Hustle Webinar. Click here and follow the instructions;
We look forward to speaking with you on, Tuesday, 16th October at 6PM UK, (7PM Warsaw / Paris time. 1PM New York.)
+44 7540 65 9995
Or, “I am now a Good Independent Trainer – So, What Do I Do To Get More Days, And, At A Better Rate?”
You are passionate about helping people resolve their issues and learn to help themselves building new intercultural skills you will teach them. You have accumulated hard won experience and realised your dream of becoming an effective independent trainer. So –
– How will you now build your independent trainer or coaching business?
– How will you network effectively to grow your list of useful and high value contacts?
– How will you get your name and message out there using Social Media to generate qualified and appropriate interest in your independent training and coaching services?
Fear – You dread the idea of becoming an isolated star trainer with next to no clients – unwittingly keeping all your much needed talent away from individuals in need you and who could easily benefit from your experience.
Wish – You know what you dream of;
– To receive warm enquiries from people who ALREADY know who you are, respect what you stand for and are willing to pay a premium to use your independent training and coaching services…because they work.
– You wish to spend less time hustling for business and more time in the flow – conducting successful group and individual training and coaching sessions.
Action – Join Our Webinar – Marketing to Get More Training Days with Less Hassle and No Hustle;
In this 90 minute high energy, content rich and interactive web based seminar, we will cover the 3 areas you need to invest in if your Independent Training / Coaching Service is to grow;
1) Activity – Remember – No effort –> No outcome. We will show you where many new independent trainers and coaches go wrong (and reveal the worst crime of all), and, list the strategies, tactics and moves you must make in order to succeed.
2) Organisation – Building your identity and passion-based professional BRAND, marketing like a pro, and, learning the structures and processes required.
Most people fail with their own attempts or give up before they have built a complete Brand. We will show you where NOT to waste your time and where you need laser focus to generate engagement (its all about getting to the higher levels of engagement.) And, you will learn to build IP assets / informational products using your knowledge, qualifications and experience. Informational products that stand out from the crowd; gain you a reputation as an expert and command attention on Social Media, even as you sleep.
3) Dynamism – We will shake you from your current state of cultural modesty (“I couldn’t possibly do that”) to having you OWN your personal experiences and articulating your deal sheet of past victories in a media friendly way that generates results – incoming warm enquiries. We will make high-octane networking a reality for you and gift you solid marketing ideas. They will work for you and you will have the chance to access the step-by-step process that takes you from “I don’t know how to do that” to, “I have just completed my amazing product, pitch and plan.”
Take Away – By the end of this informative webinar, you will be given at least 3 effective marketing tactics to work on. When you implement them you will benefit from their proven power. And, we will give you the chance to acquire our Independent Trainer Going for Growth Bundle to guide you along the sure and enjoyable path to informational products, a professional identity, an effective brand, positive networking and the generation of valid incoming mediation enquiries.
It’s not for everybody.
We want to speak with the people who will get the most benefit from the webinar so, please do NOT join if you;
– Don’t have a sense of fun and adventure
– Have zero intention of investing in yourself to grow your independent trainer / coaching service
– Possess a closed mind when it comes copywriting and social media. Or,
– Think that clients will find you by magic and telepathy, so none of this is necessary
Still reading? Good.
No Cost – There is no fee for attending the webinar and there are limited places. If you wish to expand your independent trainer practice and are ready for the challenge. If you believe in yourself, and want to follow our proven step-by-step guide, then there is only one place to be at 6PM UK time on, 16th October 2018 – 7PM Paris time – 1PM New York – Register now to attend the Marketing to Get More Training Days with Less Hassle and No Hustle Webinar. Click here and follow the instructions;
We look forward to speaking with you on 16th October 2018. It’s a date.
How would you feel if you could find viable and workable solutions to your 3 biggest problems that are currently stopping you growing your training / coaching business?
Where would you reinvest that extra income that you generate in 2019? And, how would the quality of your life and work improve?
And, What extra value would you deliver to your corporate customers enabling them to experience an increase in their profits, performance and passion?
New Webinar – Discover the 3 Growth Essentials that will get your Training / Coaching Business Moving in 2019. Tuesday, 16th October 2018 | 6PM, London time | 7PM, Paris time.
- ACTIVITY – This interactive webinar will point out which actions used to work and work no longer. Imagine the time you will save as you divert energy, enthusiasm and your time to modern and high-impact marketing actions that convert strangers to contacts, acquaintances to advocates and LinkedIn connections to paying customers. With the right moves you will interrupt busy professionals to take notice of your authentic message. You will engage with them by speaking THEIR language. You will build a channel to educate them from a place of expertise and you will create a desire in them to access more of YOU.
The measure of your success is simple – when you get your process, branding and communication right, they will “Do as you say and pay as you ask.”
2. ORGANISATION – Just because it is simple does not mean than people do it, do it correctly or do it consistently.
From a base of cultural modesty or a fear of rejection, the vast majority of solo-preneurs and small business owners fail to network or hustle sufficiently. They fail to capture data in an effective way. They fail to measure engagement, customer feeling and conversion rates and thus they fail to experience the “drip” of new business as customers come to them as and when the CUSTOMER IS READY.
Remember only 1% – 5% of customers are ready to buy at any one time. The secret is to keep in contact and have a sequence of touch points so that you become trusted and front of mind because you need to be there when THEY ARE READY TO BUY. Put simply, if you stay in contact, you will win further down the road (when everyone else has given up.)
3. DYNAMISM – Are you marketing like a 5 Year old? You try everything in an over energetic attempt to change the world in 5 minutes and then collapse in a sweaty heap and declare that life is not fair and that marketing is impossible and does not work?
Modern marketing is about getting organised and then scheduling your activity, your energy and your passion to the best effect. When you develop the mindset of a HUSTLER you will discover how to convert a basic opportunity into a prime one and that means you will access the next level of customer, customer budget and customer decision maker. As you become fluent in the language of modern marketing all your hard work and preparation will actively attract opportunities to your brand, your authentic persona and you will have the chance to articulate your vision and deliver the best of you to the best of the corporate world AND you will qualify OUT the people who will not benefit and qualify IN the elite who will do as you say, pay what you ask and benefit the most from your expertise.
If 2019 is going to be your year what do you need to do? What steps must you take?
Register now for this complimentary high energy and interactive webinar;
Bring your questions, your passion and a pen. See you for this important growth webinar.
Going for Growth in 2019 – Let’s go back to school with a bang
The main point of being an independent trainer, coach or mediator is to take more control of your life. And, charging enough to allow you some free time is a critical part of this. Whether you want to be a super high earner, blend free time with work in a more healthy way, or, set up a pro bono surgery, getting to a place where you can comfortably charge more is important.
In this post we explore 7 ways to support you charging a premium price or, even, a SUPER premium price.
And, at the end we talk about an opportunity to meet up at an event in Malaga too.
- Identity – This may sound simple but, every year, I meet many who have not completed their identity build with clarity or sufficient power to confidently charge more. Essentially you must project yourself as just one thing – An expert – deeply experienced and knowledgeable on one subject. Quite frankly, you need to be perceived as the leader in your field. Here lies the secret to charging a super premium price. Do you have a model, a special technique? Do you have unique content, a better methodology? Does your way work best? Take some time to work on these elements and your invoices will grow to a freeing level before next summer.
- Brand – What is a brand? There are 1000 answers. For the here and now, it is an increase in heart rate for the viewer, accessing your marketing material and content. They must get excited watching you in your YouTube video. They must connect their dreams to the outcomes you describe. It is necessary to eliminate the gaps in your brand story and present a joined up journey for your chosen tribe. BTW – Not everybody can do this for themselves.
- Super Copy Writing. Killer Text Is Key. When you write well for others, they will think well of you. When you structure your communications using the Super Copy Formula, they will come knocking on your door.
Price is a function of supply and demand.
If your offer is oversubscribed, your offering can support a super premium price. Of course – getting from regular work volumes to positive busy-ness (50 days at a 100 cash units rather than 100 days at 50 cash units) requires a specific and proscribed process, much of which relies not on what you write but how and in what order you present it. When you follow the Super Copy Formula for your written texts, the extra cash will become available to you.
- Great Content. You need to rearrange your content to be telepathic, sympatico and aligned with your perfect customer, what they want, when they want it. And, deliver it in the way that works for them. Too quick, too soon or too simple / complex and they will give up on you and start moaning. Leading your best students through to completion and success – that is only possible with great content and great process. The best content is pitched right, transfers knowledge effectively and is fully absorbed to be available and applicable by the student.
- Products Product Products. Regular readers will know, I am obsessed with turning your experiences into assets to earn you attention, brand brownie points, engagement, sales, income and advocacy. When you have a film, audio or text product, you take your level and your charge rate UP. It really is that elegant. And, creating products comfortably, cheaply and quickly is, today, a piece of cake.
- Building Your Tribe – I spoke to a young coach of coaches recently and she spoke about going wide to make sure you have something for everybody and can thus earn money. WRONG. To start with at least, it is all about the one thing, delivered with care, to the one audience. Finding your avatar, ideal market segment and small customer niche is essential if you desire to charge a premium price. If you are all things to all men, you will be COMMODITISED and that means your customers will expect you to be near, convenient, quick and CHEAP. Yuk. When you cater solely for your niche, you take back control, become a healthy equal partner with your client, and, you will be allowed to negotiate for a convenient time, a better rate and a greater level of respect and engagement. Super premium rates are not about greed. They are about getting you the respect your experience deserves.
- Give More – When you crank up your prices, unsurprisingly, your customers will expect more. Give it to them. Guarantee all your work. Add extra value to your offering. Listen to them and adapt. Tailor your service so that it works for them. Go the extra mile / kilometre. Value is a function of Benefit over Cost. V= B/C. When you understand that you will be keen to double the customer benefit and therefore double your price – Pragmatism.
As we think with some dread about “going back to school”, and, before we become swallowed up with low quality urgency, there exists, now, a brief moment to reflect on your next year and ask, “Am I providing the best service I can, to the most interesting people out there?” “Am I being paid what I am worth for my experience, charisma and ability?” And, if not, “What am I going to change?”
If you are currently being paid a super premium price for doing what you love, I need to ask you a favour. Please share your wisdom and experience with someone younger, so that they can reach your level with a little less experimentation.
If you are contemplating the end of summer with horror, and, are still swapping time for average money (most people are), then do read our other ITC posts for Independent trainers, coaches and mediators. They will help you build your business, charge what you are worth, work in a way that suits you and connect the best of you to the best people out there.
And one more thing – Malaga,
If you are going to the SIETAR Spain Congress in Malaga in September 2018 and wish to join one of our Intercultural Training Channel, Going for Growth Bootcamp Days, do get in touch with me directly. Do E Mail, Matthew Hill at email@example.com and we can set up a short telephone conversation in a week or so.
Thanks. Finally. Please like and share if you have taken value from this post.