5 Methods for More Gigs and More Work One of the best converters of your sweat into paid work is by giving speeches to a warm, cosy and qualified room of decision making, budget holding corporate executives fascinated by your … Continue reading
What will you achieve in 2017?
We have 3 Questions for you – What are the Biggest barriers STOPPING you growing your trainer / coaching business this year? Where does it continue to go wrong? AND How can you get it right?
Will you grow in 2017?
These barriers block critical activity, necessary organisation and positive dynamism (we fall into the trap of doing stuff that PREVENTS rather than produces growth.)
- ACTIVITY– What did you do in 2016? Send your profile / CV out to known training providers, put up a basic (non optimized) LinkedIn profile and attended local chamber events with other service providers where you failed to engage with business decision makers? And what results did you get? – A new sub contract relationship that provided 7 training days? A two day training or 3 new coaching customers? AND – Was that enough growth for you?
With your energy invested in more proactive and interactive methods you will generate interest, passion and action – the phone will ring, live opportunities will land in your inbox and your business will grow – You will experience meaningful cash-flow, more hour’s and day’s work, a boost in your charge out rates and the choice to take or decline work, along with the self-confidence and business freedom that comes with knowing how to market and sell yourself effectively and comfortably.
- ORGANISATION – How was 2016? You added 74 connections on LinkedIn, collected 47 business cards and put them in your desk draw and found the physical address of 9 companies. – Did this provide the momentum you needed for your dynamic business growth in 2017?
When you know what to do and execute clever marketing and social media moves, you will gain presence, currency and relevance with actual decision makers (and- they will LIKE and RESPECT you). They will ask your advice, do as you advise and pay what you ask because they value your input and take you seriously as a coaching / training professional. AND it will have been your marketing activity that has made the difference and lead them to a positive conclusion about you and your services.
- DYNAMISM – How was 2016? Sitting by the phone waiting for incoming calls, checking every e mail ping and generally living on Hopium (the expensive drug that favours hope over action.)
How will 2017 be different? Will you hone your identity statement to perfection? Will you be super CLEAR about what you offer? Will you build your BRAND promise to a level where you are taken seriously? Will you know your Marketing AVATAR? Will you learn to write SUPER-COPY? Will you SEQUENCE your marketing communication to be maximally effective? Will you be ready to launch your informational attention grabbers on Social Media? Will you build a quality DATABASE with high value business contacts? Will you be networking like a HUSTLING pro? Will you master NEW SALES? Will you create a CORE MODEL that describes your offering? Will you generate enough REFERRALS to make a significant difference to your income and business growth?
Will you look back on 2017 and say, “I learnt, laughed and lead my company to profitable GROWTH. What a great year?”
Join us for this 45 minute energy boosting webinar (with 10 – 15 minutes Q&A and get your business growing in 2017)
To Register click on; https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/7327277808881017091
The webinar is on Tuesday, 7th February 2017 at 7PM Paris time, 6PM London time.
Thanks and see you there
We are growing!
Imagine a room full of YOUR participants and they have ALL been sent to you by someone you know. That is Trainer Heaven. How… Continue reading
Share your passion with the world. And repurpose your wisdom to grow a meaningful trainer business internationally and at home. It starts with a microphone… Continue reading
Ordinary or Deluxe?
When you hear the word hustle what you think of? My older readership will envisage Paul Newman as a con artist in a snooker hall playing dumb to ensnare innocent victims and relieve them of their holiday cash.
Successful entrepreneur, Shaa Wasmund, has a different interpretation. For her it is the noble and creditable activity of UPGRADING any ordinarily networking opportunity into a LEVERAGED and dynamic one that will strengthen engagement and drive customers and contacts to you.
If you count the number of moments that happen to you in a year where you could benefit from applying the principles of the Hustle – building your business, growing your contact list and deepening your relationships, you will easily find 300 or more magic times.
What are you doing with them? The answer for most people, is, “the bare minimum.” I meet people who have a healthy collection of business cards gathering dust in their desk drawer. I meet people at networking events who still ask, “and what do you do?” I know people who read great books written on their own specialist subject. They take no notes and do nothing further other than slowly forget the content. I know people who pay premium prices to attend conferences, speak to three audience members, attend all the speeches and then leave empty-handed. I speak to people who are actively terrified of meeting a legend in their own field. They would rather that person did NOT make contact with them as they feel awkward, tongue tied and unable to function.
If any of the above applies to you, know this. It all changes now.
Here are 10 ideas to Hustle upgrades from the next opportunity that comes along.
- Meeting a Powerful Person – let’s start with an easy one. The device that allows you to read this post has a search bar where you can dig, delve and find out anything on the web about the legend you are about to meet. Don’t go for the obvious because everyone else will do that and your target star’s communication will be numb and automated in response.
Find the interesting and subtle quality, property or activity that this person is really all about. If you can drill down to a deeper level and, with a bit of luck, find a connection to common people, common experience or a shared qualification, then you have engineered the possibility of creating an INTIMATE moment with someone you admire. This further enables the chance to make a connection, a suggestion or to offer something that will result in a second meeting, a leveraging of the moment or, at the very least, creating a charming talking point. It’s all about doing your homework.
- LinkedIn posts – 89:10:1 – 89% of web users are basic consumers of info-tainment. They do nothing. 10% are interactive and can work their way around a keyboard – they may like or share a stimulating post found on Pulse. You need to be in the 1%, those people who are actively engaging, who are converting their experience into authored words and, possibly, authority. The next time you read a stimulating post, take matters into your own hands, locate the writer’s e-mail or ask for a connection with the author and begin an appropriate and respectful dialogue, asking simple questions, showing appreciation and contributing your value through opinion or example. Don’t be a contrarian, but align instead with their point of view. In such a way, you can form a relationship with thought leaders, opinion leaders and business leaders and engage at a professional level gaining access to what is otherwise impossible to achieve.
- Meeting an impressive mortal. By this I mean coming across a film, post or live speech made by someone who is of high calibre. They are on the way up and, maybe, you appreciate them for their talents more than those around you. This creates mutual leverage. Let me illustrate this with a story. When I see someone who is a BYT, a bright young thing, with a brain the size of a planet, a charismatic presentation style, and a slightly cautious approach to their audience, I will endeavour to meet them afterwards, thank them for their speech and invite them to give a webinar for my audience if appropriate. Because they are on the way up, they will often take up the opportunity that is being provided for them. In such a way we have captured the energy and spirit of many great people and presented it (free of fees) to a hungry audience, some of whom will tell me later that they are amazed at how I find such unique talent.
- Get a quote – sometimes, your face time with the Guru or Star is too controlled or limited to ask for a full favour. In this case a simple quote will do. What question have they not been asked before? What question will access their passion? And what answer will be of value to you personally? If you rack up a number of such questions you will always be prepared for that next spontaneous encounter with a legend.
- Hustle at a conference. Why be a passive member of the audience, being fed great but repeated keynote speeches when you can turn the event into a business accelerator? There are many ways to do this. If you buy a ticket to some great people like Joanna Martin or Tony Robbins, you may get asked to be a runner or a volunteer the next time. Don’t resist on the basis of your dignity or ego. Yes, they will have you running around in a silly T-shirt and singing and dancing but think of the amazing opportunity. You have stardust on your shoulders and borrowed authority being a runner at the event. You may channel your personality, and speak to an unlimited number of great people.
Alternatively, on a more earthly scale, if you see a conference coming up in 3 or 6 months time, contact the organiser and offer a keynote speech. Instantly reject any organisation that asks for a fee from you to speak. I know that seems strange, but it happens. In such a way I have spoken at many conferences and it is the number one converter of your time into a business enquiries – Aim to speak to a warm qualified audience on your core topic and make it punchy and memorable.
- Read a good book, write a good review – as I write this post I have checked in for a flight early tomorrow to Prague. 100 minutes flying time is a great opportunity to get into a good book. One was recommended to me 3 days ago, I ordered it on Amazon Prime and it arrived yesterday. I will read it, take notes and convert those notes into a review for either Amazon or my blog site AND create one, two or three posts that result from my thoughts and reactions to the content of this good and recommended read. In such a way I am repurposing the knowledge that I gain, enhancing my chances of retaining the wisdom held in the pages, and teaching and sharing the goodness I encounter thus creating equity and enhancing my reputation amongst my tribe.
- Warming a prospect. Let’s assume that you have someone on your list with good prospects. They know vaguely of your existence but they have yet to be wowed by you or given sufficient evidence of your greatness. Where is the Hustle opportunity? If you’re confident in your abilities it is time to spend a little of your hard earned money and take proactive marketing meaures and reach out. Sending one of your information-based products as a gift with a clever note achieves many things – Robert Cialdini’s law of reciprocity means you have created a small psychological obligation. Philip Kotler’s marketing formula suggests that you are engineering another “touch” and Gary M. Reynolds’ Engagement theory says that you are creating trust as you qualify your prospect either IN to your philosophy or OUT of contention. Posting a book, a disc or a memory stick can be an amazing leveraged step to forming a potentially high-value relationship.
- Proper networking – there are endless posts telling you that you must give first in order to get later. For me the greatest thing you can do is to be a network facilitator. The best fluid movers in a room listen to your story and actively connect you, “A”, with, “B”, someone you can help or who can help you. It is this seemingly selfless act that marks you out as a sophisticated player and somebody to be taken seriously. Your noble act can pay back many times over in the course of your relationship with both “A” and “B”.
- Peer to peer – in the new sharing and collaborative economy it seems sensible to explore the Hustle opportunity between equals. My favourite Hustle, when I spot a rising star, is to offer them a little of my time coaching, indulging in a divergent thought session or exploring opportunities for cooperation and exchange. It is a pleasant way to spend the time. The other party seems to have fun and how there is ALWAYS something to trade.
- Journalists and editors – this strange breed require special handling. Interacting and commenting constructively after reading articles by adding your thoughts and comments after publication goes down well. Remember most people or in the 89%. It always surprises me when speaking to journalists to hear how rarely they are called up or engaged in conversation by their readers. There is the perception that they sit in an ivory tower and are, somehow, unapproachable. In fact the opposite is true. A journalist contact, an editor or a PR friend are an incredible resource. The turbo version of this is to become an accredited subject matter expert – but let’s not get ahead of ourselves. Being known as a cooperative source who will say something intelligent, witty and apposite will have journalists coming back for more. Everybody wins. They meet their deadline and get the job done easily. You win because your name is in print, again.
89:10:1 – if you stay in the 89% you will do nothing, you will not hustle anybody and nothing special will help build your business. If you are in the 10% you will like and share this piece – it’s a start (And Thank You 😉 ) If you are in the 1%, your heart will be racing, your hands sweaty and you will have already worked out how to apply at least 3 of the 10 ideas above and be well on your way to Hustling for your next rich, rewarding and exciting opportunity.
So. Which are you? The 89%, 10% or 1%?
Register for the Consultative Selling and Networking Webinar from the Intercultural Training Channel, Tuesday, 17th May 2016, 12 noon London time, 1PM, Amsterdam and Paris Time. – A lunch and learn session for the intercultural entrepreneur. Follow the link to register for the who with Gotowebinar; https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/4557222083732664323
Author – Matthew Hill is a freelance trainer and executive coach working in multiple European countries with some of the largest transnational corporations in the world. He has worked for 3 Governments, written 3 books and regularly speaks on the subject of Consultative Selling for Independent Trainers who wish to up their game.